[eDebate] Lexington Winter Tournament Invitation

Maggie Berthiaume maggiekb
Thu Nov 2 08:38:22 CST 2006

Dear Debaters and Coaches:

It is with great pleasure that we invite you to attend Lexington's
annual winter tournament, to be held Friday through Monday, January 12
through 15, 2007. The LD & PFD divisions are Friday-Saturday; policy
divisions will run on a Saturday-Monday schedule. Once again, we hope
to provide high quality competition, efficient administration, and the
best possible judging. We are a trifecta TOC qualifier at
quarterfinals in policy, Lincoln-Douglas and public forum debate.
Please read the invitation carefully as we are experiencing some
changes in scheduling this year. A complete schedule of events will be
published in mid-November.

LINCOLN DOUGLAS AND PUBLIC FORUM TOURNAMENT

RESOLUTIONS: In Lincoln-Douglas, the NFL January-February resolution,
to be announced December 1 by the NFL national office. The Public
Forum division will debate the January NFL topic.

FORMAT: Two divisions of LD (novice and open) and an open division of
public forum will be offered Friday and Saturday, January 12-13, 2007.
There will be 4 single flighted rounds in varsity on Friday, three
novice, and the
Tournament proper will conclude on Saturday. Registration for these
divisions will be held at the High School, Friday, 12:30-2:15pm.

In the open LD division, we will offer six preliminary and five
elimination rounds. The novice LD division and PFD division will offer
five preliminary rounds and an appropriate number of elimination
rounds based on entry numbers. Schools/debaters will have the option
of electing to strike up to 5 judges in the varsity LD division.
Debaters will only be allowed to compete under their school name and
if accompanied by a responsible adult as defined by the Massachusetts
Forensic League. Those home schooled may be entered under their town
name and accompanied by a parent/guardian in accordance with MFL
rules.

Sunday and Monday there will be a Lincoln-Douglas Invitational Round
Robin. Schools interested in receiving an invitation should contact
Lynne Coyne by Nov. 15, 2006 ([ mailto:rcoyne at sch.ci.lexington.ma.us
]rcoyne at sch.ci.lexington.ma.us). Students remaining on site while the
policy divisions conclude are invited to watch the Round Robin
debates.

ENTRY LIMITS: Initially, 5 entries per category. Extra entries will go
on a waiting list, but please note that our first priority is to grant
additional varsity entries.

JUDGES: We hope schools will make every effort to cover their entries
with qualified judges.  For all divisions of LD and PFD, one judge
must be provided for every three entries or fraction thereof,
regardless of division. Advanced, experienced debaters  (third or
fourth year strongly preferred) may judge in the novice division.
Very qualified judges indeed are expected in the varsity divisions.
For hired judging info, see below.

POLICY TOURNAMENT

RESOLUTIONS: We will be debating the 2006-2007 NFL resolution.

FORMAT: Two divisions of Policy (Novice and Varsity) will be offered
Saturday through Monday, January 13-15, 2007. This will allow us to
run 7 preliminary rounds in Varsity and 6 preliminary rounds in
Novice. The Varsity division will break to Double Octafinals and the
Novice division to Octafinals. Schools/debaters may have a judge
preference option; information will come over email. Debaters will
only be allowed to compete under their school name and if accompanied
by a responsible adult. Those home schooled may be entered under their
town name and accompanied by a parent/guardian in accordance with
Massachusetts Forensics League rules. Complementary meals will be
provided throughout prelims, with a Saturday lunch and dinner and
Sunday lunch free to all.

SCHEDULE

Registration for policy only schools will be available Saturday
morning for schools not registering on Friday night. (If you can not
make this time, please let us know in advance and we can make other
arrangements. Include this in your registration or email it separately
to lexpolicy at gmail.com)

ENTRY LIMITS: Initially, 6 entries per category. Extra entries will go
on a waiting list, but please note that our first priority is to grant
additional varsity entries.

JUDGES: We hope schools will make every effort to cover their entries
with qualified judges.  For all divisions of Policy, one judge must be
provided for every two entries or fraction thereof, regardless of
division.
Advanced, experienced debaters (third or fourth year strongly
preferred) may judge in the Novice division. Very qualified judges are
expected in the Varsity divisions. Requests for hired judging should
be sent by Monday, January 2, see below.

GENERAL TOURNAMENT INFORMATION

HOUSING: Available  *for competing students and student judges in the
novice division*. We will accept the first 250 requests.   We reserve
the right to close housing when we have received 250 requests, so
early response is very important. Extended stay housing is available
upon special request (please note?if you have LD students staying
through the end of the policy events, you MUST request extended
housing since the divisions operate entirely separately). Please
understand that meeting the *entry* deadline does not guarantee that
housing is available. Please indicate total number of students,
genders and names on the entry website. Students should bring sleeping
bags, towels and other necessities for an overnight stay. Coaches and
other adults may secure housing at one of our local hotels.

The tournament hotel, which we strongly recommend, will be the Quality
Inn (formerly the Holiday Inn, 781-861-0850), which is about a 5
minute drive from the high school. In addition, The Battle Green Inn
(781-862-6100) is located in Lexington Center and is within walking
distance from the high school.

FOOD: For LD/PFD - Dinner is served on Friday night; lunch is served
on Saturday. This cost is included in your entry fees. Complimentary
food is available throughout the tournament in the Coaches Lounge. For
those present during elimination rounds, there will be an
international dinner buffet available for a small fee.

For Policy ? Dinner served on Saturday; Lunch is served on Sunday.
This cost is included in your entry fees; and complimentary meals will
be provided to all coaches and judges. There will be no food available
during elimination rounds.

FEES:
$25 school fee
$130 per Varsity Policy team
$75 per Novice policy team
$55 per Lincoln-Douglas debater
$75 per Public Forum team
$175 per hired judge for Lincoln-Douglas & Public Form
$200 per hired judge for Policy

We regret that increases in our custodial costs and changes in
tournament structure have forced an increase in fees.
If your registration check is postmarked by January 2nd, we will waive
the school fee.

FEES ARE FIXED AND FROZEN by Monday, January 2nd.  PLEASE READ THE
FOLLOWING CAREFULLY. Drops are possible after this deadline, but that
will NOT affect the fees due at registration.  We will assume that any
judge information left blank as of this date represents a hired
judge?this will allow us to  single flight in LD and allow for strike
sheets to be completed by email prior to round 1. Massachusetts
Forensic League rules require that any drops the day of the tournament
be called in to the tournament director; for LD or PFD: Lynne Coyne
(781-454-9809),  for Policy debate: Maggie Berthiaume  612-201-3673).
A $25 per change nuisance fee will be assessed at the registration
table for any changes made at that time (this includes name changes,
so PLEASE call ahead). Accepting our invitation accepts these rules.
Late cancellation will  result in school billing. Invoices are
available on the registration site. PO payment plans are available
with prior approval only. Schools with an ongoing balance due will not
be allowed to compete until the balance due is addressed.

HOW TO REGISTER:  Registration will open November 1, 2006. We will
close the tournament when it is full. Registration will take place on
the Massachusetts Forensics League website- www.massforensics.org.
Schools outside the League can set up an account by logging in with
the requested information. Please be sure to register for the January
tournament not Little Lex.

QUESTIONS: Email is strongly preferred -- send them to Maggie
Berthiaume  at lexpolicy at gmail.com for policy debate and/or Lynne
Coyne at rcoyne at sch.ci.lexington.ma.us for Lincoln-Douglas and Public
Forum.   You can also fax your entry to 781-861-2440 if you have no
email access. We cannot accept telephone registrations; phone us only
for late changes: Coyne (781-454-9809) or Berthiaume (612-201-3673).

We look forward to welcoming you to scenic, historic Lexington in
mid-January.

    Maggie Berthiaume and Lynne Coyne, Directors of Debate

DIRECTIONS TO LEXINGTON HIGH SCHOOL    Route 128/Interstate 95 is the
best approach from any direction. Exit 30 is the second Lexington
exit, regardless of the direction you are coming from; it is marked
ROUTE 2A. Follow ROUTE 2A EAST into Lexington. Travel for a little
more than a mile until you reach the first FULL traffic light; there
is a Dunkin' Donuts on this corner. Then turn left onto WALTHAM
STREET; pass through another traffic light; Lexington High School is
immediately on your left.   Lexington is twelve miles from Boston's
Logan International Airport.  Southwest Airlines fly into Providence
and Manchester (NH) airports -- they are each about 75 minutes' drive
from Lexington, and the fares are very low. We are also 20 minutes'
drive from a suburban Amtrak station. Contact us for further details.