[eDebate] Forensics Resource Survey

Darren Elliott delliott
Thu Nov 2 13:58:03 CST 2006

The following email is from Jack Rogers of CMSU.  He has tried to post this to edebate but his postings keep bouncing back.  Please take a few minutes and fill out the survey (included at the bottom) and return it to Jack.  His email is also below.  It is a worthwhile endeavor.

chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate--KCKCC
CEDA 2nd VP
---
Darren-

I have been trying to post this message and attachment to edebate for three days. I am a member.  I still receive all the posts, but when I try to post, my server is bouncing it. Would you please post this to the edebate folks?

Jack Rogers at Central Missouri wrote:

In 1991, the CEDA Yearbook published a study which reported the resource base for top CEDA programs. Over the years, I have received numerous emails asking me if I have collected any data which is more current. Most of the time, these requests come from folks who are trying to access bench marking data to justify budget increases, start up a new forensics program, or prevent administrations from cutting their budgets. Sadly, I haven't kept the data current.

I am in the process of collecting that data set again.  Attached is a survey which I am asking forensics folks to fill out and email back to Rogers at cmsu.edu. All data will be kept confidential through reporting techniques (e.g. program types, school types, region, etc.). All participants will have complete access to the report.

Won't you please take a little of your time and fill out the survey?

Thanks - Jack Rogers

SURVEY____

Forensic Resource Survey

This information is being collected in an effort to provide the forensic community with "benchmark" data which could be used to justify program budget increases, help fledgling programs with start-up comparisons, or to give ammunition to programs under attack by budget cutting administrations.  All of your information will be kept strictly confidential.  All data will be collated and reported using averages divided by regions, types of programs, and types of institutions (typically two-year, four-year, public and private, types of program); therefore, when reported, no reader will be able to identify data from specific programs.  As a participant in the study, you will have full access to the final report.  We encourage you to answer each question as fully as you can.  The more information we are able to collect, the more reflective of the community, and therefore useful, the final data analysis will be.

1) In what competitive region is your program located?
(e.g. SouthCentral for CEDA, District III for NFA.  If your competitive activity is not divided by region, please list your state)

2) Many competitive forensics organizations rank their member programs.  For example NPDA has a Top 20, NPTE ranks individual teams, CEDA has both national and regional rankings, it could be argued that the NFA "ranks" programs by their finish at Nationals. How was your program ranked by the competitive organizations that you belong to at the close of the 2005-2006 competitive season? (e.g. CEDA Top 20, #6)

3) Is your program housed in a public or private institution? Two-year or four-year?

4) In what types of competitive events does your program engage?
(e.g. NPDA, CEDA, NDT, LD, IE's, NEDA, IPDA, WORLD's, others?)

5) Would you say that your program is primarily devoted to debate, to individual events, or is your program split at about 50-50?

6) In approximately how many local, state, or regional tournaments do you participate in a typical competitive year?

7) In approximately how many national or national finals tournaments do you participate in a typical competitive year?

8) Please identify which national finals tournaments you have participated in during the last 5 years.

9) Approximately how many students regularly travel to competitions for your program?

10) In a typical year, how many students receive a scholarship for participating with your program?

11) What is your program's base annual operating budget?
(We would define this as funds set aside for travel, equipment, supplies and dues)

12) Does your program have an additional "post-season" budget for national finals events; and if so, how much?

13) What is your program's base annual scholarship budget?

14) Are these funding sources "hard" or "soft" monies?
(Do you receive the same amount in the budget each year or do you have to argue before an administrator or student group each year for funds?)

15) How is your coaching staff organized?
(e.g. type and numbers: director of forensics? assistant directors? graduate students? student directed with a faculty advisor?)

The following questions are for programs that are directed by a faculty member.

16) If your program is directed by a faculty member, does that faculty member receive additional compensation for directing forensics; and is so, please describe it.
(e.g. release time? how much? additional salary? how much?)

17) If your program is directed by a faculty member, what is his or her current rank, tenure status and highest degree held? (e.g. assistant professor, tenure-track, M.F.A.)

18) If your program is directed by a faculty member, how long has he or she been coaching forensics?

19) Is forensic activity counted significantly towards tenure and promotion? How?
(In some cases, forensic activity is counted as professional creative activity in lieu of traditional scholarship.  In others, it is considered service towards tenure and promotion.)

20) If your program is directed by a faculty member, please tell us about his or her publication record (e.g. 2 national forensic journal articles, 3 regional journal articles)