[eDebate] LAST DAY FOR NYC GOTHAM DEBATES HOTEL BLOCK

V I Keenan vikeenan
Fri Nov 3 14:16:52 CST 2006

Hey y'all -

Just a reminder that this is the last day to make reservations under the
hotel block at the Days Inn North Bergen for the Gotham Debates at Baruch
College in NYC on November 18 and 19th.

We offer 3 full divisions, 6 prelims and appropriate outrounds, a rookie
divsion for novices with a late start in rounds 1&2, and a nice alternative
for teams who didn't get off the Wake waitlist the week before.  Where else
will you be able to register TWO policy teams for $75 total this year?
Plus, it is New York City, which we think is usually a pretty good
attraction anyway.

Info for hotel, plus alternative suggestions are below.

Hope to see you there.  Good luck at JMU, Towson, App State and Wake in the
meantime.  Email me if you have questions.

-VIK

*The Tournament Hotel*: Days Inn North Bergen - There are 35 double-double
reserved for 1-4 occupancy at $149.00 (plus tax).  Please note we have
adjusted registration fees to offset hotel expenses for our tournament.
This hotel is almost a straight line to the Lincoln Tunnel, and less than 6
miles from the college   It does not have breakfast, but our tournament
does.

The hotel information is:

DAYS INN ? North Bergen
2750 Tonnelle Ave/I-495
I-495 & US 1 & 9
North Bergen, NJ 07047 US

Phone: 201-348-3600
Fax:  201-330-8932

The block is reserved under the BARUCH COLLEGE DEBATE TOURNAMENT (Group
Code: BCT/GSCH).  Gina Menta is the Director of Sales, and Irma in sales
also worked with this account if you have problems.

You must reserve rooms by *Friday, November 3rd*, after which the rooms will
be released.  It is the weekend before Thanksgiving, so space is tight (and
expensive) in the city. It is possible to make arrangements with the hotel
to extend your stay if necessary.

*Other hotels*:  I know that the hotel rate is expensive compared to other
tournaments, and we appreciate that you may wish to find other
accommodations at a cheaper price.  The following hotels are also located
close to the Lincoln Tunnel and have limited space the weekend of the
tournament. Not have internet access and some of the choices may not have
the best reputation (hence, not the tournament hotel choice).  I suggest the
Howard Johnson North Bergen as your best cheap bet ? they do not have
wireless access, but they are good quality.  Sadly, they don't reserve
blocks of rooms.

Palace Hotel (201) 866-0400 ? average rate $120.00
2600 Tonnelle Ave , North Bergen, NJ 07047-2296

Ramada Limited Jersey City (201)-432-6100  ? average rate $120.00
65 Tonnelle Ave, Jersey City, NJ  07306

Super 8 Motel North Bergen ? average rate $80.00-$110.00
2800 Columbia Avenue, 495 East & Lincoln Tunnel Rd, North Bergen, NJ 07047

**Howard Johnson North Bergen (800-664-6835) average rate $90.00
1300 Tonnelle Avenue, North Bergen, NJ  07047

**Comfort Suites North Bergen ? average rate $115.00 ? A great deal usually
if you can get it, but had no rooms available on Saturday night last time I
checked.
1200-1218 Tonnelle Avenue, North Bergen, NJ 07047

Many of the above hotels have shuttle service to Times Square/Penn Station
if you were looking for ways to not drive into the city.  I cannot vouch for
the efficiency of those shuttles.  The NJ Transit buses also service this
area and the local PATH train to NYC.

Definitely further (+10 miles), but better value for dollar:

Hampton Inn Secaucus Meadowlands (201)867-4400: average rate $90.00
250 Harmon Meadow Blvd, Secaucus, NJ 07094

Red Roof Inn Meadowlands (800)346-8357:  average rte $110.00
15 Meadowlands Rd, Secaucus, NJ

If you don't mind an additional 10 miles or so, the Newark Airport hotels
may also be an option.

--
Vik Keenan
Director - Baruch Debate, CUNY