[eDebate] repost with updated hotel info - Miami (OH)

Steve Mancuso spmancuso
Mon Nov 6 12:26:41 CST 2006

2007 Miami (OH) Tournament Invitation

? January 13-15 (Saturday-Monday)

? 8 prelim rounds

? $75 per team entry fee

? $65 tournament hotel rate

? Breakfasts provided Saturday, Sunday and Monday

? Warm lunches provided Saturday and Sunday

? Elimination rounds on Monday ? MLK holiday

? Trophies individualized with your team picture and names

Dear friends,

We are pleased to invite you to attend The Sanders Invitational at
Miami University in Oxford, Ohio to be held the weekend of January
13-15, 2007.  As always we hope to provide an enjoyable, hospitable,
and rewarding beginning for the second semester.  We will offer
varsity, junior varsity and novice divisions.

Our tournament hotel this year is the Best Western Sycamore Inn ?
just a couple of blocks from campus.  The room rate is $65.  Please
book your rooms by December 29.   Other nearby hotel options are
listed later in this invitation.  Elimination rounds will be held on
campus in Bachelor Hall ? that Monday is the MLK Holiday.

Registration will take place at the Best Western Sycamore Inn on
Friday night from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.  If you are running late
please call us at 240-418-5883.

We will provide breakfast and lunch on both Saturday and Sunday to
all tournament participants, and breakfast on Monday.  We will
maintain a judge and coaches lounge. The competition buildings for
preliminary and elimination rounds are now fully wireless with easy
guest access.

If you have any questions please don?t hesitate to contact us.

Steve Mancuso

Assistant Director of Forensics -- Debate

mancussp at muohio.edu

513-529-3050

Ben Voth

Director of Forensics

vothb at muohio.edu

513-529-2278

Matt Gayetsky

Graduate Debate Assistant

513-529-2524

ELIGIBILITY: The tournament is open to any two-person team of
undergraduate students. Teams in all divisions will be expected to
engage in switch-sides debating.  Maverick entries will not be
accepted.  Miami University may enter teams, but will not do so if it
creates a bye situation, and our teams will not be eligible to
clear.  Hybrid teams will be accepted. The tournament director Ben
Voth will decide additional questions regarding eligibility. Novices
should be in their first year of college debate and conform to ADA
expectations for Novice.  We will make every effort to avoid
collapsing the novice division.   This year?s CEDA/NDT debate
resolution will be used.

FORMAT: The tournament will have 8 preliminary rounds; advancement to
elimination rounds will be based on (1) win-loss record, (2) total
speaker points, (3) adjusted speaker points, and (4) strength of
opposition. Speaker points may be given in .5 increments.

The first four rounds will be pre-set.  Rounds 5 and 6 will be paired
off of the first four rounds, with Round 5 high-high and Round 6 high-
low.  Rounds 7 and 8 will be power-matched high-low.  Time limits
will be 9-3-6 with 10 minutes prep time.  Brackets will be broken in
both preliminary and elimination rounds to prevent teams from the
same schools from meeting.  Elimination round sides will be
determined based on (1) reversing sides from a prelim meeting, (2)
individual coin flips.

FEES: $75 for all divisions.  This fee covers breakfast for three
days, lunch on Saturday and Sunday, trophies, classroom use and
administrative expenses.  Please make checks payable to ?Miami
Forensics.?

JUDGES: Schools are required to provide four rounds of preliminary
judging for each team entered.  Each judge is required to hear the
first elimination round plus one round beyond her or his school?s
elimination.   Please do not rely on us for hired judging.  Judges
are expected to disqualify themselves from hearing any debater, team
or school with which they may have a personal or professional
conflict.  Judges should enter their conflicts through the Bruschke
web site.  If the pool makes it feasible we will attempt to use a
judge preference or strike system.

ENTRIES AND DEADLINES: Entries should be received by Wednesday,
January 11, by 5:00 pm.  There are no limits on the number of teams
you may enter in a division.  We prefer that you enter using the
Bruschke web site at debateresults.com.  We will also accept entries
via e-mail.  Please e-mail your last minute changes to Steve Mancuso
at the above address.

HOTELS: The Best Western Sycamore Inn has offered rooms for $65 per
room per night for up to 4 people per room.  Please make your
reservations as soon as possible.  As usual, mention that you are
attending the debate tournament to qualify for the room rate and
block.  The phone number for reservations is: 513-523-0000.  Ask for
LoMonda or Cathy if you have problems.  Please register by December 29.

BACK UP HOTELS: The Hampton Inn (513-524-0114) has offered a special
tournament rate of $75 per room.  They offer a hot breakfast, indoor
pool, and a fitness center.  Other hotels right in Oxford: Amerihost
513-523-2722; Holiday Inn (nicest) 513-524-2002.

CAMPUS/PARKING: Parking at the Sycamore Inn is plentiful and free.
On Saturday, Sunday and Monday parking is available in the lot
adjacent to Bachelor Hall, located at the intersection of Highway 27
and Route 73.

Specific driving directions can be obtained at the university web site:

http://www.miami.muohio.edu/about_miami/visitingmiami/

TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE

Friday, January 12, 2007

7-10 p.m.                   Registration ? Best Western Sycamore Inn

Saturday, January 13, 2007 at Bachelor Hall

8:00 a.m.                   Breakfast and Pairings, Bachelor Hall

9:00 a.m.                   Round 1

11:30 a.m.                   Round 2

1:30 p.m.                           Lunch break (lunch provided)

2:30 p.m.                   Round 3

5:00 p.m.                   Round 4

Sunday, January 14, 2007 at Bachelor Hall

7:00 a.m.                   Breakfast and Pairings, Bachelor Hall

8:00 a.m.                   Round 5

10:30 a.m.                   Round 6

12:30 p.m.                  Lunch break (lunch provided)

2:00 p.m.                   Round 7

5:00 p.m.                   Round 8

TBA                                    Team Clearing Info Released

                                              Best Western, other
tournament hotels and edebate

Monday, January 15, 2007 at Bachelor Hall

7:00 a.m.                  Pairings, Bachelor Hall

8:00 a.m.                  First Elimination Round

TBA                           Awards Ceremony

                            Remaining Elimination Rounds will follow
ASAP