[eDebate] WVU team goes dry at tournaments

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Tue Nov 14 10:06:11 CST 2006

Hi, everyone!
For a long time, we have (of course) had a policy that prohibits illegal
activity (including underage drinking, supplying alcohol to minors, and
drunk driving) at tournaments.  Because that policy:
1.  creates divisions in the team between those who are under and over 21;
2.  detracts from the reason that the taxpayers of West Virginia subsidize
our travel to tournaments;
3.  I believe there is a serious problem with excessive drinking at
tournaments and with actions that stem from that excessive drinking;

as of now, everyone connected with WVU Debate (debaters, judges, coaches,
even those of us who are more than twice 21 years old) is prohibited from
consuming alcohol on debate tournament trips.  I post this to edebate for
two reasons:
1.  I want friends of WVU debaters and coaches (regardless of age) to know
that they will not be drinking at tournaments, and that by encouraging them
to drink, you will only be endangering their participation in debate;
2.  I am curious about whether other teams have such a policy.  I'd be
interested in hearing your thoughts either on the list or via backchannel.

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University