[eDebate] the high-tech MPJ Good case

Josh Branson harobran
Tue Nov 21 23:03:41 CST 2006

I've thought about this for a little---a couple of what I hope are somewhat
unique thoughts:

1. Adaptability

There's no question that MPJ decreases the amount of adaptation demanded of
debaters. I don't think that's a bad thing.

There's no question that adapting to people's opinions and views is
important in life; nobody can really dispute that. But should debate merely
model the real world? Students (and the rest of us) get trained in normal
persuasion and the art of dealing with people's different quirks and styles
almost every hour of every day. That's what people practice at their jobs,
in class, in their social interactions...all the time. I think what
separates debate from the 'real world' and what makes it so valuable is its
UNIQUE ability to give students a reprieve from the ideology and
irrationality that so saturate a lot of human interactions. When asked by
people why I think debate is sweet, I always find myself talking about its
relative intellectual purity---for 2 hours, you get to engage in argument
that is in its ideal form is uncontrained by all the bullshit we all deal
with all the time: the personal agendas, the refusal to listen to opposing
points of view, the laziness, the incompetance etc. I think that that
experience is profoundly valuable to everyone involved; the ability to
debate your arguments in a very advanced way in front of neutral judges who
are just as if not more informed about the arguments you're making is
something that is NOT available in other forums. I could have had a
rudimentary discussion about emissions trading systems and gotten someone's
gut reaction any time I wanted. But being able to delve into the details of
a hybrid permits scheme vs a purely upstream system and its implications for
innovation and WTO compatability in front of someone like Repko or DHeidt
who had read about the subject and judged about it all year long----THAT you
cannot get somewhere else.

Lets take the adaptability argument to its logical conclusion: speed would
be eliminated, because you don't talk fast in the real world, we'd bring
people in off the street to judge, evidence would be drastically altered,
etc. If you are against MPJ for the reasons of adaptation, then I think you
also must be against fast talking for the same reason. One of the thing that
sets debate apart from the real world is that you have an opportunity to
control who judges you: someone that you feel is a good match for the style
and sophisticiation of your arguments. I think we should preserve that. It's
part of the value-added that debate provides.

2. Balkanization

Is there really a 'war in debate?' I find this a little ridiculous, and
whatever level of 'divide' there is between K and policy folks, I don't
think MPJ is the cause. Do you really think Fort Hays is going to bust out
their Stare Decisis DA if we get rid of MPJ? Is MSU going to display their
hidden Nietzsche talents? I thought Sue Peterson's post on this was pretty
interesting; I think that eliminating MPJ might actually heighten the
problem---if anyone thinks that the post-round discussion between some of
the extreme K teams and extreme policy judges (and the other way around) is
going to be wonderfully integrative and productive if they are FORCED to
judge each other, I'd be surprised.

MPJ doesn't have to contribute to 'balkanization.' In fact, I used my strike
sheet in exactly the opposite way. I tried to prefer all the people in the
middle of the ideological spectrum, ones who I thought were the least
ideologically committed to any certain vision of debate or agenda. I just
happen to strongly believe that the best judges and probably the ones most
highly preferred are also the ones who are the least dogmatic about any
particular argument. Because while preferring the less competant but more
ideologically similar judge may help you in certain situations, I strongly
believe that it will inevitably screw the teams that rely upon such a
strategy.

In fact, the killer part about this arg is that it turns the anti-MPJ
adaptability arguments. The absolutely crucial part of MPJ for me was that
it preserved flexibility WITHIN the debates. Only through MPJ was I able to
get rid of the people who, through whatever Balkanist ideology, were rabidly
anti-K or anti-policy. Eliminate MPJ, and all of a sudden the strategy in
some debates becomes determined by the judge, not by the research done or
the merits of the arguments. And I think THAT is the exact sort of
argumentative inflexibility that would be horrible for the activity.

3. There's a gigantic DA to eliminating MPJ that turns and outweighs your
case.

That DA is simply judge competance. Nobody can credibly claim that all
judges are equal. The fact that DHeidt is so highly preferred is not because
he's white or because he's male. It's because he's good. He works really
hard at it.
Take another example in W Repko. Everyone makes fun of Repko for taking so
long to decide, but let me tell you in a big debate I appreciated every
minute that he spent back there. When you've worked as hard as debaters do,
your biggest fear in a debate is that a judge will get lazy or ideological
and ruin all that work. And you would know that Repko wasn't going to vote
until he had absolutely meticulously analyzed every argument, and you also
knew that he was going to do his damndest to suppress his personal opinions
and evaluate things objectively. The idea of replacing him in a big debate
with somebody who hadn't cut a card all year, who hated Northwestern, or who
wanted to just vote quickly to get to the bar is not one I like to
contemplate.

The specifics of Repko aren't the point here; there are other judges who the
fit the bill too (Sarah Holbrook I believe I ranked top 6 in the ordinal
thing at the NDT last year, not because of affirmative action but because
she's a great judge) but lets be honest, eliminating MPJ means that a lot of
the less competant judges will judge more.

And I know that for some reason in debate nobody likes to call anybody bad,
and we love to say that All Judges Are Equal and that apparent talent is
either a result of privilege or bias. But at the end of the day, lets be
honest, there are some judges better than others, and MPJ, while it has its
problems, generally allows the better judges to judge more.

4. I'm less sure about the minority representation argument, but I do know
that there is a problem when our solution to underepresentation is to FORCE
people to take minority judges they don't want. I think the problem lies
less with MPJ than with the fact that people's mutual choices seem to be
biased. The argument that lies in banning MPJ to force people to take
minority judges is awfully close to just proposing that female/female teams
be given a few automatic wins per tournament. There are obviously no easy
answers, but the mandate affirmative action proposals sure don't seem like
the right ones.

Sorry for the long email, but the edebate discussion has been fairly
one-sided on some of these args, i thought I'd make the opposite case.

JB