[eDebate] Quote about debate topics

David Glass gacggc
Wed Nov 1 13:26:19 CST 2006

it was Donald  Rumsfeld, testifying to the 9/11 Commission

"I used to think one of the most powerful individuals in America was the
person who could select the annual high school debate topic. Think of the
power -- to set the agenda, and determine what millions of high school
students will study, read about, think about, talk about with friends,
discuss with their teachers, and debate with their parents and siblings over
dinner.

Your Commission has similar power. You have the opportunity to focus the
attention of the nation on critical questions ? the issues we need to think
about, debate, and discuss. You have an opportunity to elevate the debate
above partisan interests, to lift people's eyes up and out to the horizon,
to help point a way ahead. "

(http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0403/S00332.htm)