[eDebate] Frederick Douglass Debates-Speaker awards and elims

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Mon Nov 6 06:46:57 CST 2006

Thanks to Andy, Beth, Shawntia, and Darren for a fantastic and relaxed tournament experience.  A few observations:
1.  Everyone we encountered (including some excellent lay judges) was concerned first and foremost about the educational experience the students were having;
2.  It was great to see new programs beginning at Temple, Johns Hopkins, and "Baltimore College Debate".  The Johns Hopkins and Temple-Baltimore College debaters are going to be amazing after they get one or two more tournaments under their belts.
3.  Folks with novice teams better hope that Beth can't recruit too many of the novices from her class.  Some of them were as good as novices who've been debating since September!
4.  Hope to see more schools there next time (we had a great experience AND saved a ton of money).  I certainly understand that the crowded fall schedule and a superb tournament at JMU (thanks, Mike!!; we had a great time there, too!) limited participation, but this is an initiative that should be supported!
--Neil Berch
West Virginia University
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andy Ellis<mailto:andy.edebate at gmail.com>
  To: edebate<mailto:edebate at ndtceda.com>
  Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2006 2:18 PM
  Subject: [eDebate] Frederick Douglass Debates-Speaker awards and elims

  Hello,

  We are moving toward sems in open and finals in novice....here are some results...we cleared all teams with at least three wins...and we will start ceda sanctioned outrounds with the sems.

  VARSITY partial 1/4's
  Towson AO (Advances without debating)
  BCD/Temple AM (Advances without debating)
  Marist KK  against Towson BP
  WVU SS against Towson JB

  NOVICE 1/4's

  Marist FT defeated Towson CR
  WVU DS defeated WVU NM
  Towson MV defeated Towson FG
  Towson MY Defeated Towson SS

  Novice 1/2's
  Marist Ft Against Towson MY
  WVU DS against Towson MV

  Novice Speakers
  1. Leah Strickland Towson
  2. Sam Timinsky Marist
  3. Cindy Fuller  Marist
  4. Hillary Williams Towson
  5. Jessica LaFluer Towson
  6. Jessica Cileone Towson
  7. Julie King Towson
  8.Andrea Militaru Towson
  9 Katie Santmyer West Virginia
  10. Hilda Mwangi Towson

  Open Speakers
  1.Ben  Croson Buffalo
  2.Barabora Onduskova Towson
  3.Chris Kozak Marist
  4. Charles Milburne Baltimore College Debate
  5. Acacia Asbell Temple
  6. Tom Bako Towson
  7. Kayden Skinner West Virgina
  8.Michael Stark West Virginia