[eDebate] Pre-Shirley Disclosure Reminder

Jean-Paul Lacy lacyjp
Mon Nov 6 22:46:18 CST 2006

Target deadline for self disclosure: Midnight, Tuesday the 7th. (For you
sticklers, that really means 12:00 am, Wednesday the 8th, or *tomorrow.*)

That will give us the time to actually get as much as possible posted at
opencaselist.wikispaces.com by sometime Wednesday morning.

Decentralizing the caselist also means we can easily take one vital extra
step: Per Steve Mancuso's earlier post, I strongly encourage each of you to
contribute as much as you possibly can about the teams you've debated or
scouted. If you don't want to sign up to edit the wiki, you can always send
the information to me.

We all want better debates. Good scouting improves everyone's debating.

For great justice, get your pre-tournament disclosure in as soon as you can
and add the scouting you can! If someone emails you for cites, join the
wiki & post the cites there. If you see shortcomings you can correct,
correct them! If you're bothered by "freeloaders," do what you can to
correct it!

*Future plans for the wiki:*

I plan to post all the scouting information the Wake squad collects for the
rest of the season. I think we share at least one sentiment with the
community: We want to debate the best competition possible. Good scouting
helps everyone advance toward that goal.

I hope others will join in the effort by becoming members and contributing
as the year continues.

I also hope other tournaments will join us in making pre-tournament
disclosure a condition of entry. This is one of the major advantages of
decentralizing the caselist. Tournaments won't need a dedicated compiler to
reformat your disclosure and figure out how to distribute it. All they'll
need is a person to check the wiki. Compulsory disclosure is still a
necessary element, as the quality of pre-tournament disclosure we get
demonstrates. I think this wiki experiment will validate that the same
pre-tournament disclosure requirement is viable at other tournaments.

The end goal is the NDT and CEDA nationals, where scouting is scarce and
high in value. Stefan Bauschard, the usual pre-NDT scouting expediter, is
the NDT host this year. (That means he can't do *any* of the incredible
pre-tournament scouting scouting he has in the past.) We all need to step
up to fill the void.

If we all contribute to make the intelligence as good as possible before
CEDA & the NDT, then the scouts at those tournaments can focus on the best,
most relevant, newest information.

If you want to elevate your game, you need good scouting.

--JP Lacy
lacyjp at wfu.edu

ps -- As you know, the wiki is currently protected (anyone can view it, but
only members can edit it.) A few people have requested membership with an
obscure username and an inscrutable email address. We need to maintain a
certain level of accountability. If your username and email address is
something like "7337H4X83," none of the organizers is going to approve you.
If you have a good reason for posting anonymously, then email me & we can
work things out.

pps -- If you object to the whole text & citation business, you can always
send or post an audio file, do the same with a multimedia file (If its of
reasonable size...we've only got 2 gigs), or post a link to the same. Just
remember that we've got to stick to "fair use" guidelines--so don't post an
entire movie or musical work (or an entire written work) that belongs to
someone else. You can check out wikispaces terms here:
http://www.wikispaces.com/terms

ppps -- Why the ads? Because the space is "free." Wikispaces gives us 2
gigs of storage and unlimited bandwidth, plus an incredibly easy to use
interface. To me, the ads are interesting, especially the mis-placed ones.
They aren't annoying. Wikispaces privacy policy seems good. No additional
functionality is to be gained by paying the nominal fee to upgrade. Plus,
if the site is high volume, their space limits may become more flexible. If
anyone has a good argument for turning off the ads, let me know.

At 12:16 AM 11/2/2006, Jean-Paul Lacy wrote:

>The Shirley is right around the corner. After watching the inspirational
>performance of ?Scout: Adam ?Ace? Garen? on CSTV, we're looking forward to
>scouting our tournament as well as we possibly can.
>
>?We all want better debates.? Better information improves debate for
>everyone. This year, its particularly true--We're all still learning from
>each other how to research and debate a legal topic. The list is a
>community project: It takes a big effort on the part of all participants
>in the tournament to make it what it is.
>
>This year, we?re experimenting with major change to the basic model:
>                 Previously, we?ve withheld the list & released it only to
> contributors.
>                 This year, we?re decentralizing the process: Information
> is going up on a wiki as soon as we can post it. Anyone can view the
> information once its posted. [The wiki will be up and running ?when its
> done.? I?ll post the URL to eDebate then.]
>                 Pre-tournament disclosure is still a condition of entry,
> but this inverts the ?free-riding problem.? Everyone can see who isn?t
> participating. Anyone who wants to correct free-riding can edit the list
> by emailing me for permission and adding the information they have. [You
> can still just email it to me] (We?ll change this basic protocol as
> necessary
but we need some way to maintain a certain level of accountability.)