[eDebate] NCA 2007: Nonverbal and argument

Doyle Srader doyle
Mon Nov 20 15:10:58 CST 2006

Re-sending as plain text.

This is soliciting interest in a panel for NCA 2007 in Chicago, about
Argumentation and Nonverbal Communication. The papers should be about
either argument expressed nonverbally, or nonverbal concomitants of
verbal argument.

The paper I'm preparing will examine the doctor's white coat as a point
of stasis in the argument joined between doctor and patient over the
dispositive quality of the doctor's medical knowledge/training and the
patient's lived experience of the health condition. It serves as an
enthymeme, arguing for the doctor's legitimate authority in the same
manner as the judge's robe, bench, and formally arranged courtroom; at
the same time, it gives purchase to objections that highlight the
limitation of medicine.

A few other possible topics that illustrate what I have in mind:

* Turn-taking and different argumentative practices: courtroom oral
argument vs. appellate oral argument, etc.
* Argumentative "tempo": Response latency, quick-turnaround, the "war
room" phenomenon in political argument, understood as chronemics.
* Appearance and movement in "judged" sports (figure skating,
gymnastics, pet shows, dressage) as argument
* Candidates' nonverbals at campaign debates
* Nonverbal behavior as evidence: in trial testimony, in political
campaigns, in advertisements, etc.
* Architectural/urban "makeovers" as argument; Olympic bids, campus
building campaigns, etc.

Or if you've got an interesting new take on visual argument, that would
be welcome too.

If you have a project like this in the works, and are interested in
being included in this panel submission, contact me sometime before
February.

--

Doyle Srader, Ph.D.
Lecturer, Communication Studies