[eDebate] discussion: judge commitments at tournaments

Darren Elliott delliott
Mon Nov 20 23:23:03 CST 2006

I've been wrestling with MPJ a lot lately (and you can see more of it in
my soon to be posted 2nd VP report).  Years of data points to an
under-representation of females and persons of color especially in elims
at National Circuit Tournaments.  How about this.  In addition to Jim's
proposal, I am interested in what the community thinks about the idea of
every judge that self-identifies as qualifying for the affirmative
action pool be automatically made an A+ or a 100 by the tournament
without the ability to be ranked anything else by tournament
participants.

It seems to be a preferable alt. to the status quo and for those who
like MPJ is a preferable alt. to elimination of MPJ.

thoughts?

chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate--KCKCC
CEDA 2nd VP

>>> "Jim Hanson" <hansonjb at whitman.edu> 11/20/06 8:30 PM >>>
perhaps a bit but not anywhere near to having 10% excess judging and it
would only help in the sense that teams might get less pref'd judges
that
round who would not have normally been used (defeating the purpose of
ensuring high prefs as well as likely creating some rounds where one
team
gets a highly pref'd critic that the other team views as a very low pref

critic).

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu