[eDebate] MPJ and Comments

Tue Nov 21 14:01:21 CST 2006

I have been opposed to MPJ for years. the primary reason is that MPJ allows
those who know the least to make the decisions at debate tournaments. My
reasonable guess is that debaters chose judges in the following order (1)
judges witha  "reputation"  that fits their style (2) people they hang out with
or debated against the previous year who are "cool," and (3) point fairies.
Heaven forbid someone a 20 year old kid has never heard of shows up to judge a
tournament--even if that person was a great debater in his or her own right, or
was a good coach.

If we accept the premise that a person with a college degree and an open mind
should be able to evaluate a debate round, then we should be willing to get rid
of mpj. But, unfortuantely, the same forces that merged NDT and CEDA--to the
demise of many regional debate programs, control the major tournmaments, and
the judging assignments. Its a self-perpetuating cycle that sucks. Policy
debate is becoming more obscure, more exclusionary and more elitist with every
passing year. And, I do not think it is a good thing.

Scott