[eDebate] MPJ and Comments

Jason Jarvis debatekorea
Tue Nov 21 19:17:22 CST 2006

Scott says:

"If we accept the premise that a person with a college degree and an open
mind
should be able to evaluate a debate round, then we should be willing to get
rid
of mpj. "

Scott has a point....I just wonder when this was the standard criteria for
judging.  Seems to me that most folks do not agree with this criteria.  Even
parliamentary debate people would disagree with this as most would argue
that to be a good judge you have to have experience doing some judging so
that you can learn the rules and understand the criteria for evaluating a
debate (the international parli community is pretty strong in their feelings
about this).

It seems to me that policy requires an even more nuanced set of standards
and skills that are more specialized (and harder to learn) and that very few
people would ever accept the premise that you set up above.  This skill set
functions to the detriment of students and the community in a variety of
ways.   For example, in Korea, one of our best judges is a professor of
International Relations who has no debate background, but who in the course
of a few tournaments, learned the rules/conventions and has become one of
the most respected judges in Asia due to his impartiality, and the detail of
his post round critiques.  His expertise in IR gives him tools to provide
educational experiences for the debaters that would not ordinarily be
available to students if they were only being judged by a "debate expert."

The inaccessability of policy is an obvious weakness that the activity seems
loathe to address. . .but one that will play itself out inevitably (for
better or worse) with or without systemic changes in the practice(s) of the
policy community.

Jason L. Jarvis

Assistant Dean and Lecturer,
Korea Development Institute Graduate School of Public Policy and Management
http://www.kdischool.ac.kr/
OP: 82-2-3299 1031
*********
Director, Asian Debate Institute