[eDebate] Invitation to 2007 Cal College Tournament

gregachten at berkeley.edu gregachten
Wed Oct 4 11:43:04 CDT 2006

Below is our invite. Please let me know if you need parking permits.

Greg

2007 Cal Invitational Debates

Dear Colleagues,

The University of California, Berkeley is pleased to announce the 4th Annual
Cal Invitational Debates to be held on our campus on January 13-15, 2007.
The tournament will offer six preliminary rounds of team topic debate as
well as appropriate elimination rounds in open, junior and novice
divisions. The preliminary rounds will be held on the main Berkeley campus
with the
elimination rounds held at the tournament hotel. The tournament hotel for
the tournament is the Courtyard Marriott in Emeryville. I strongly urge you
to stay at the Marriott. This is an outstanding facility with free high
speed internet access in each room and the entire first floor of the hotel
is wireless. I have managed to secure a tournament rate of $99 per night for
up to 4 people per room. We have a block of rooms and the block expires a
month before the tournament begins. You can make reservations now by calling
the Marriott directly at, 510.652.8777 and asking for the reservation
desk. MAKE YOUR HOTEL RESERVATIONS NOW! Last year many people were
squeezed out of the tournament hotel because they failed to make
reservations in a timely manner. The cutoff date for the event is December
20 and it is possible our block will be full before then.

For general info about the hotel go to

www.marriottemeryville.com <http://www.marriottemeryville.com>

Our contact at the Marriott is Brett Brown in sales and he is the person
to whom you should direct specific questions.

We are pleased to be able to host a tournament at Berkeley. We think that
lots of our friends from across the nation will enjoy the opportunity to
visit out beautiful campus and enjoy everything the Bay Area has to offer.

 Additional information will be available over the course of the next few
months, but we wanted to get an early invite out to let folks know we were
having a tournament. If you have any additional questions please let me
know.

Sincerely,

Greg Achten 							Dave Arnett
Tournament Director/Co-Director of Debate			Co-Director of Debate
818-357-8424

Transportation: I strongly urge those flying to use Oakland International.
It is much closer to campus, much easier to navigate and often much
cheaper as it is served by discount carriers Southwest and JetBlue. You
will need to rent a vehicle if you are flying. The tournament does not
provide an evidence shuttle or any other form of transportation. DO NOT
attempt to rely on public transportation to get to and from the
tournament.

Directions to Hotel:
Transportation Information: From Oakland International Airport:
Mileage: 13 Miles

Exit airport and follow signs for 880 North
Stay on 880-80 North all the way
Take the Ashby/Shellmound Exit
Stay in the right lane and turn right on Shellmound Street
Hotel will be on the right side of Shellmound Street

>From Richmond/Berkeley Area:
Follow I-80 Westbound and Exit Powell Street
Make a left turn onto Powell
Make a right turn on Christie Avenue
Make a right turn onto Shellmound Street
Hotel will be on the right side of Shellmound Street

>From San Francisco Airport:
Mileage: 45 Miles

Exit Airport & Follow Highway 101 North
101 North to 80 East, San Francisco/Bay Bridge
Cross Bridge and Continue on 80 East Towards Berkeley/Sacramento
Exit at Powell/Emeryville and veer Right
Right turn onto Powell
First Right onto Christie
Right onto Shellmound Street
Hotel will be on the right side of Shellmound Street

Parking: Parking is free at the hotel but not on campus. We will have a
limited number of parking permits available for sale for $30 for Saturday
and Sunday. This is generally cheaper than you will find in Berkeley and
much closer. If you wish to order a parking permit or permits please email
that request to me.
Hospitality: We offer a coaches reception each night of the tournament and
a survivor?s party on Monday night. We also offer breakfast each morning
on campus. There are literally hundreds of restaurants within walking
distance of campus catering to every dietary need. Dwinelle Hall will once
again be the headquarters of our tournament and should accommodate all
varsity debates and most JV and Novice debates as well.

Campus Policies: The Berkeley Campus is a smoke-free campus. There is no
smoking in ANY building on campus. PLEASE abide by this policy so that we
may continue to use these facilities in subsequent years. The Berkeley
campus is also a drug and alcohol free campus.

Entry Information: Online entry is required at www.debateresults.com

Tab Room: The tab room will be run by myself (Greg Achten), Jon Bruschke.
Becky Opsata and Glen Frappier.
Procedures: Brackets will not be broken in elimination rounds and sides in
elims will be determined by a coin flip between the opponents unless they
met in the preliminary rounds. Hybrids and mavericks will be allowed on a
case by case basis and only in extraordinary circumstances. Our tournament
supports and adheres to the CEDA Anti-Sexual Harassment Policy.

Divisions: We will use the joint CEDA-NDT policy topic. We will offer Open
(any undergraduate meeting AFA eligibility requirements)and Junior (any
undergraduate in their first or second year of intercollegiate debate or any
student that meets the CEDA definition of a JV debater) and Novice (any
undergraduate in their first year of debate that meets the CEDA definition
of a novice debater). We reserve the right to collapse divisions if
entries warrant. In the Varsity division we will clear all 4-2 teams under
the following conditions: should entries warrant, we will clear to a full
double-octo final (assuming we have 64 entries in the division). Absent
that a partial double-octo-final round will be held ONLY if it would
involve 8 teams or 4 debates. In the event that fewer than 4 partial
debates would occur, we will cut 4-2?s on points and other tie-breakers
and will recognize teams not advancing at the awards ceremony.

Time Limits: The time limits will be 9-3-6 with 10 minutes prep.

Fees: Fees will be $100 per team.

Judging: Each school is expected to provide one judge per two teams they
bring. Each judge will be obligated for through the octafinal or one round
beyond the elimination of their team. We have some hired judges that we
can provide, but not many.
Hired judges will be given on a first come, first served basis at a fee of
$100 per uncovered team. We are not trying to make money on hired judges. We
would much rather have your judges than your money. If you have extra judges
available from your school please let me know as we would probably like to
hire them. We will use preference/strike sheets for prelims and elims. All
judges are expected to render a decision in a timely fashion and designate
one, and only one, team as the winner of the debate. Points may be awarded
in full and half point increments only. All judges are obligated through
the octafinals of varsity or one round beyond the elimination of your
team.

Questions: If you need to get in touch with me, please call or email

Mobile: 818-357-8424
Email:gregachten at berkeley.edu

Schedule of Events

Friday January 12th
7-10 PM Registration: Marriott

Saturday January 13th
8:00 AM Late registration on campus in Dwinelle Hall: Pairings released on
campus and at Marriott: continental breakfast on campus
9:00 AM Round 1
11:30 PM Round 2
1:30 PM Lunch (on your own)
2:30 PM Round 3
5:30 PM Round 4
Coaches Reception at Marriott following round 4.

Sunday January 25th
8:00 AM Round 5 pairings released on campus and at Marriott: continental
breakfast on campus
9:00 AM Round 5
11:30 Lunch (on your own)
12:30 PM Round 6
3:30 PM Awards Ceremony
4:30 PM First Elimination Round in all divisions
Coaches reception at Marriott as well as posting of teams reaching
elimination rounds following round 6

Monday January 26th
8:00 AM Pairings for elimination rounds released at Marriott
9:00 AM Varsity Octafinals at Marriott
11:00 AM Awards Assembly in Marriott Room
12:00 PM Subsequent varsity elimination rounds and initial novice and JV
elims