[eDebate] The Return of The DeMougeot

Brian Lain blain
Mon Oct 9 10:14:29 CDT 2006

Apologies for the delay in posting the invite to the UNT tournament. Because of the date changes this year, we had some difficulty ensuring the Raddisson Hotel would be available and at our desired rate for January 1st, 2007.  After some negotiation, the hotel has agreed to our $60.00/night rate and to host our regular hospitality on the first. This will allow us to preserve a day off between the UNT and UT-D tournaments and keep particpants costs low for the week. We look forward to you joining us in Texas in January.

The University of North Texas Debate Forum and the Department of Communication Studies at UNT are pleased to invite you and your debate teams to attend the annual William R. DeMougeot Debates on January 2-4, 2007. The tournament this year will include three divisions of debate on the 2006-2007 CEDA/NDT topic, have quality preliminary rounds in Open, Junior, and Novice divisions, and clear to an appropriate number of elimination rounds for each division.

Preliminary rounds will be held at the University of North Texas. This year our tournament hotel is the Radisson, (940-565-8499) which has guaranteed us a special rate for participants in the tournament ($60.00). We strongly encourage you to stay at the tournament hotel as registration, and all other extra-events will be held there.  You should make reservations as soon as possible.

As our colleagues at the University of Texas at Dallas mentioned, this tournament is held in conjunction with the ?Fear and Loathing in Dallas? tournament in order to provide two opportunities for quality competition in Texas? lovely January weather.  The UNT prelim debates will be held January 2nd  and 3rd and we plan on having 7 preliminary debates.  Participation in the DeMougeot debates is a prerequisite to winning the coveted ?Texas Two-Step Award? given to the team with the best prelim record at the two tournaments.

There is a full day off between the two Texas steps (January 5th) and there is a full week off before the Tisinger Debates (West Georgia).  As many of our colleagues discovered last year, we try to provide quality competition and a ton of hospitality.  This year we will host a coachs? reception, breakfast and lunch for participants, coaches, and judges on January 2nd and 3rd, and much, much more.  We hope you will consider joining us in January.

Sincerely,
Brian Lain, Director of Debate
Calum Matheson, Debate Coach
Jason Sykes, Assistant Coach
Asher Haig, Assistant Coach
The North Texas Debate Forum

2007 WILLIAM R. DEMOUGEOT DEBATES January 2-4, 2007
REGISTRATION: We will accept entries for the tournament through, December 28, at 5:00 pm. We have enabled Bruschke?s entry system at www.debateresults.com. If there are any problems, email me at blain at unt.edu. Registration will take place at the tournament hotel on Friday night.

DIVISIONS: We will have three divisions of debate at the tournament this year. Open division is open to any undergraduate student with eligibility. Junior division is open to any undergraduate with less than four semester?s participation in intercollegiate debate. Novice division is pen to anyone who meets the CEDA eligibility standards for novice participation.

JUDGING: A qualified judge must be provided to cover your judging commitments. Because we will have 7 rounds, one team requires four rounds of judging, two teams require 7 rounds of judging.  There may be some judges available for hire at the rate of $100/uncovered team, but you should let us know well in advance if you need to hire judges. Judging obligations extend through the first elimination round, or one round beyond your team's elimination.

FORMAT AND RULES: We will use the 9-3-6 format, with ten minutes preparation time per team in open and junior divisions. Rounds 1-2 will be preset. The rest will be powered.  Debate teams consist of TWO persons from the same school. Hybrid teams are acceptable, and may advance to elimination rounds. In the event of illness a single debater may debate 2 rounds alone but may not be allowed to clear based on the tournament director?s discretion.  We will NOT break brackets in elimination rounds.

FEES: Entry fees are $100/team for all divisions. This includes trophies, tournament supply expenses, and hospitality. Please make checks payable to ?North Texas Debate.?

HOUSING: We have reserved a block of rooms at the Radisson Hotel here in Denton. This is Denton?s only 5 star hotel and they have guaranteed us a rate of $60/night for most of the hotel?s quad rooms.  This hotel is right across the street from campus and very close to many fine-dining establishments.  This is where the pairings will be released, and registration will take place. Please confirm your reservation at the Radisson by calling (940-565-8499). Make sure to mention University of North Texas Debate.

TRANSPORTATION: We are unable to provide shuttle service between the tournament hotel and UNT during the tournament. Should you have difficulty in arranging transportation, please contact us ahead of time.

TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE (Tentative):
Monday, Jan 1st
6-9pm Registration Radisson Hotel

Tuesday, Jan 2nd
7:00am Rounds 1 and 2 released at Radisson
7:30 Breakfast at the School

8:30am-10:30am- Round 1

10:30am-12:30pm-Round 2

12:30-1:30 Lunch (Provided)

2:00pm-4:00pm- Round 3

4:30pm Round 4 Pairings released

5:30pm-7:30pm  Round 4

Wednesday, Jan 3rd
7:00am Round 5 released at Radisson
7:30 Breakfast at the School

8:00am-10:00am Round 5

10:30am Round 6 pairing released

11:30-1:30pm Round 6

1:30-2:30 Lunch (provided)

2:30-4:30pm Round 7, Quarterfinals (JV)

5:00pm Pairings for Partial Doubles released

6:00pm-8:00pm Partial Double-Octafinals

Thursday, Jan 5th
7:00am Elim Pairings released

8:00-10:00 Octafinals Open

Awards Assembly and Elim Pairings to follow
Other Elimination Rounds to follow

Friday Jan 6th
Registration for UT-D Tournament
Hotels in Denton (These are the prices they quoted me over the phone, we do not have a contract with anyone other than the Radisson.)
Raddison: 2211 N I-35 E Denton (940) 565-8499 - $60.00 (quad) -
The Hampton Inn (940) 891-4900. $89.00 (quad)
Holiday Inn: 1500 Dallas Drive (940) 387-3511 - $79.00 (quad) -
La Quinta: 700 Ft. Worth Drive (940) 387-5840 - $71.99 (quad) -
Days Inn: I-35 East and Ft. Worth Drive (940) - 566-1990 $58.45 (quad)
Ramada: 820 S I-35 E Denton (940) 387-0591 - (quad) $80.00 (Friday and Saturday) and $75.00  (Sunday)-
Best Western 2910 W. University Dr, (940) 591-7726 ($82.00) -
Clayton House Motel 1111 W. University Dr. (940) 382-9626 ($48.00) -
Comfort Suites 1100 N. I-35 (940) 898-8510 ($89.95) -
Howard Johnsons 3116 Bandera (940) 383-1681 ($49.95 ) -
 Royal Hotel 1210 N. I-35E (940) 383-2007 (50.00 ).