[eDebate] Baylor Tournament Jan.20-22

Matt Gerber matt_gerber27
Tue Oct 10 13:42:01 CDT 2006

Hi folks, the 2007 edition of the Glenn R. Capp Debates at Baylor is now
open for entry on the Bruschke system. The tournament will be held January
20-22, 2007.

We have made several changes this year that we believe will make your
tournament experience more enjoyable!

1) No more debates in "converted" hotel rooms! The elimination rounds will
be held in the beautiful Baylor Student Union. These rooms are big, nice,
and they have lots of long tables and chairs. Perfect for elim day. We will
also make sure we secure parking areas/passes for your vans on elim day.

2) By popular demand, we will return to the tradition of serving a Chinese
food buffet at the conclusion of the prelim rounds. Following Round 8, in
Castellaw 101, we will serve you dinner. Dinner will be followed by the
awards assmbly and release of teams clearing and judges.

3) We are currently negotiating the rates for the tournament hotel, we
expect that it will again be The Clarion right by campus. We will have an
answer by mid-week so people can begin making reservations.

We hope to see you all here in January! (The invite and tournament details
are posted below, and on the Bruschke site).

~Da' Bears

Dear Colleagues:

The debaters and coaches at Baylor University cordially invite you to attend
the Glenn R. Capp Debates, to be held in the heart of Texas on the banks of
the beautiful Brazos and just minutes from the Western White House, from
Saturday, January 20 through Monday, January 22, 2007.  We are pleased to
continue the tradition established by Professor Capp on this same weekend
over fifty years ago.

Last year??s tournament was attended by over 40 teams from a variety of
states. The Wayne State University team of Matt Farmer & Gabe Murillo won
the 2006 Capp Debates, defeating Dan & Emily Faltesek of Concordia in the
Finals. In the 2007 Capp Debates there will be 8 preliminary rounds clearing
to an appropriatenumber of elimination rounds using the cross-examination
format (9-3-6) in two divisions, Open Debate and Junior Varsity Debate. If
there is sufficient interest we will host a novice division.  Any team is
eligible for the Open Division.  Novice and JV contestants must meet the
CEDA eligibility rules. We will debate the 06-07 CEDA Supreme Courts topic.

Hospitality: We aim to be hospitable.  The tournament hotel provides an
excellent continental breakfast.  Lunch is on your own for Saturday and
Sunday. Virtually any fast-food place one could ever want is within a
2-minute drive from campus (McDonald??s, Wendy??s, Arby??s, Subway, Taco
Cabana, Taco Bueno, Taco Bell, McAlister??s Deli, Sonic, Whataburger, Long
John Silvers to name a few?K). We will provide a Chinese food buffet for
dinner on Sunday, and we will return to the Sunday evening awards ceremony
as we have done in the past.  For those lucky enough to have rounds off we
will provide snacks and the big screen television (NFL Playoffs) throughout
the day in Castellaw 101.  Professor Rich Edwards has once again graciously
agreed to be the director of the tabroom.

Elimination Rounds: Will be held at the Baylor Student Union building. No
more debating in converted hotel rooms at the Clarion! We feel that debating
in these very nice rooms at the Union will add to your tournament
experience, and avoid the discomfort of the hotel.

The Jaworksi Scholarship: The Baylor Law School will also be retaining a
suite during registration to interview applicants for the Leon Jaworski
scholarship.  The scholarship is a 3 year full tuition award and available
only to former college debaters.  Recent recipients include Andy Ryan, Josh
Zive, Chris Lavigne, Sean McCaffity, Josh Hedrick, and Britt Clark.
Interested students should contact Dr. Matt Gerber.

Sincerely,

Dr. Matt Gerber- Director of Debate & Asst. Professor
Jason Myres- Assistant Coach & Lecturer
Jeff Roberts- Graduate Assistant Coach
Mike Girouard- Graduate Assistant Coach
Corrina Gura- Graduate Assistant Coach

Transportation:  Waco is easily reached from I-35, or by flying into Dallas
or Austin.  The Dallas Fort Worth Airport, Dallas Love Field, and the Austin
Bergrstrom Airport are each about a one and one half hour drive from Waco.
Each of those airports is served by all of the major rental car companies.
You may also fly directly into Waco on American Eagle. If you do continue to
Waco, you should secure a rental van well in advance. If you are flying into
Waco and staying at the ___________ they have a shuttle that can pick you up
from the airport and have asked that you simply call a day or two before you
arrive.

Entries:  Two divisions of debate will be held (Open Debate and Junior
Varsity Debate).  Participants must be full time students enrolled at their
respective schools.  Both divisions will debate the joint CEDA-NDT topic on
overruling Supreme Court decisions.  We could be persuaded to hold a novice
division if there is sufficient interest.

Awards:  We will break to an appropriate number of elims.  We will recognize
those qualifying for elimination rounds and top speakers in each division.
All Elimination rounds will be held on Monday at the Baylor Student Union
building.

Debater of the Year:  Once again, the Capp Forum will recognize an
outstanding person on the national or district debate circuit as Debater of
the Year.  Last year??s recipient was Dan Faltesek of Concordia University.

Fees:  Entry fees are $90.00 per debate team.  This will partially defray
tournament expenses.  Please make checks payable to the Glenn R. Capp Debate
Forum.

Judging:  Each school is expected to provide one judge for each two teams.
All judges are required to stay for the octafinal round and/or one round
beyond the time their last team is eliminated.  As there are not a large
number of qualified judges wandering the Waco area, and we certainly don??t
want to drag  Dubya, Polk or English into judging service, we STRONGLY
encourage all able bodies to fulfill their commitments.  If you cannot judge
or have a special request, notify us in advance and we will attempt to cover
your commitment at a rate of $100.00 per team.

Housing:  The tournament hotel will be the same hotel as last year.  The
Clarion offers easy access to food options and is a very nice facility.  The
flat rate is $69.95 a room for as many people as you care to cram into them.
  They can be reached at 254-757-2000.  The official address is 801 So. 4th
St.  If you take the University Parks exit from I-35 and stay on the access
road you??ll run right into it.

Other hotel accommodations may be available if you are unable to get into
the tournament hotel;  we have not secured a room block with any of these
establishments, but if you mention that you are attending a function at
Baylor University you may get a reduced rate. If you are looking for
alternative hotels, please contact me at matt_gerber at baylor.edu

Pairing Assumptions:  Pending entries and Rich Edwards?? input, rounds 1-4
will be preset.  After that, even rounds will be paired high-low within
brackets and odd rounds will be paired high-high.  For elimination rounds we
will not break brackets.  We will also not use any form of side
equalization.

Registration:  Will occur at the tournament hotel on Friday January 19th,
from 7:00-9:00 p.m.

The 2007 Capp Debates
?? Official Schedule ??

FRIDAY, JANUARY 19, 2007

REGISTRATION 7-9pm @ the tournament hotel

SATURDAY, JANUARY 20, 2007

7:00 A.M.	PAIRINGS FOR ROUNDS 1 & 2 AT THE HOTEL, CASTELLAW, AND 				CASHION

8:00 A.M.	ROUND ONE

10:30 A.M.	ROUND TWO *DISTRICT 3 MEETING IN CASTELLAW LOUNGE

12:30-2PM	LUNCH BREAK

2:30 P.M.	ROUND THREE

5:00 P.M.	ROUND FOUR

SUNDAY, JANUARY 21, 2007

7:00 A.M.	PAIRINGS AT THE HOTEL, CASTELLAW, & CASHION

8:00 A.M.	ROUND FIVE

10:30 A.M.	ROUND SIX

12:30-2PM	LUNCH BREAK

2:30 P.M.	ROUND SEVEN

5:30 P.M.	ROUND EIGHT

7:45PM AWARD RECEPTION & DINNER BUFFET (CASTELLAW 101)

MONDAY, JANUARY 23, 2006- ALL ELIMINATION ROUNDS @ THE CLARION

7:30 A.M.	ELIM PAIRINGS RELEASED AT THE HOTEL & STUDENT UNION

8:30 A.M. 	FIRST ELIMINATION ROUND

11:00AM	SECOND ELIMINATION ROUND