[eDebate] DoD job at Illinois State!

Zompetti at aol.com Zompetti
Wed Oct 11 14:29:16 CDT 2006

It's finally official!  If you're interested, please email and/or  apply as
soon as possible.  Here are the details:

Illinois  State University
Normal,  Illinois

VACANCY  ANNOUNCEMENT
The  School of Communication at Illinois State University is looking for full
and  part-time instructors for 2007-2008.
DEBATE:                               Direct or assist in the management and
coaching of a nationally  competitive debate team.  Also teach  courses in
area of expertise such as Introduction to Communication, Small Group
Communication, Argumentation, Interpersonal Communication, and coach in a  broad-based
Debate program.
This announcement is designed  to build a pool of applicants to be drawn
from, for temporary full or part-time  positions, during the 2007-08 academic
year.  Applications will be accepted throughout  the year, and appointments will
be made as needed.  Master's degree preferred, Bachelor?s  degree required,
teaching and/or related professional experience desirable.  Salary is dependent
upon qualifications. Initial appointment made as positions  and funding become
known.  Initial  review of applications is continuous and will continue until
all open positions  are filled.  To ensure full  consideration, send detailed
letter of application, vita, copies of transcripts  and three letters of
recommendation to Cheryl Budde, 4480 Communication,  Illinois State University,
Normal, Illinois  61790-4480.
Illinois  State University  is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
university encouraging  diversity.
***
If you will finishing  your Master's degree this year or if you're interested
in making a change in  your current position, you should consider coming to
ISU!
We're finally able to  do conduct a search for a Director of Debate at ISU.
I will post an  official call for the position in the near future, but I
wanted to give folks a  head's up so we might be able to chat at some upcoming
tournaments.  If  you're interested (or know someone who is), please come talk to
me.  Or,  you can always send me an email!
If you're anxious to  apply now, you may send the following:
1.  detailed  letter of application
2.   vita
3.  copies of  transcripts
4.  3 letters of  recommendation
Send them  to:
Cheryl  Budde
4480  Communication
Illinois State University
Normal, IL  61790-4480
FAQs:
1.  What is  Normal, Illinois, like?
ISU is located in Normal, Illinois (adjacent to  Bloomington) and is 45
minutes East of Peoria, 45 minutes West of Champagne, 2  hours South of Chicago, 2
hours East of St. Louis, and 2 1/2 hours West of  Indianapolis.  While
Bloomington/Normal is a small Midwestern city, we have all of the comforts of a
typical college town with a low violent crime rate and extremely affordable cost
of living.
What will the position  require?
The Director of Debate position will be responsible for  the everyday coac
hing and management of our growing policy debate program.   Currently we have
three teams.  The DoD will be expected to recruit from  high schools, conduct
practice debates, oversee research assignments, manage the  debate paperwork,
organize debate squad and team meetings, recruit and oversee a  graduate
assistant, plan and prepare a tournament schedule, attend and coach at  tournaments,
and other duties typically associated with coaching debate at this  level.
Will I get to teach?
Yes.  The position is a non-tenure-track (NTT)  position that involves
teaching 2 courses a semester in addition to coaching  responsibilities.  The types
of courses taught will mainly be introductory  classes.
Will this be my  program?
Yes and No.  The DoD will be responsible for the  items listed above.
Discretionary power will reside with the DoD on  coaching and administrative issues
provided they are consistent with the overall  Forensics program at ISU.  ISU
has a dual IE/debate Forensics program, and  the DoD reports directly to me as
the Director of Forensics.  In other  words, the DoD will be working closely
with me as the program develops and  grows.
What is the salary?
Normal is a very, very, very inexpensive place to live.  The  salary for this
position is competitive with other similar positions relative to
cost-of-living.  It is also negotiable.  Talk to me personally about  this.
What are the benefits like?
For more information on ISU employee benefits, you can go  to the ISU Human
Resources page at _http://www.hr.ilstu.edu/_ (http://www.hr.ilstu.edu/) .
Benefits are highly competitive with other State  universities.  The DoD will
receive full medical and health insurance, as  well as other standard benefits.
Any other questions????  Please ask me!    I hope to talk to folks at the
tournaments listed above, or feel free to email  me!
Joe Zompetti
DOF, Illinois State University