[eDebate] [Fwd: Call for Tryouts, 2007 CIDD British Debate Tour]

louden louden
Wed Oct 11 16:18:01 CDT 2006

The Committee for International Discussion and Debate (CIDD)

of the National Communication Association (NCA)

announces tryouts for

The 2007 tour of the United Kingdom

Approximate tour dates: mid-February to mid-March 2007

Tryout information:
Where:  Washington, DC
When:  Saturday and Sunday, December 2-3, 2006
(at the offices of the National Communication Association)

Who is eligible:
Any past or present forensic participant who is under 25 and is a full time
undergraduate in good standing, or who has received an undergraduate degree
but is no older than 25; juniors and seniors are preferred. We encourage
applications from students active in all forms of forensics, including
Lincoln-Douglas debate, team policy debate, parliamentary debate, and
individual events.  Students who apply should have (or plan to obtain) a
valid, current passport.

Students will be evaluated on the basis of their debating skills and their
ability to teach debate basics; their knowledge of political, social and
cultural conditions in the UK, Europe, and the world; and their ability to
represent the United States and American forensics effectively and
professionally.

How to apply:
If you are interested in trying out for the tour, send by Friday, November
3, 2006:
1) a letter of interest, explaining your suitability for the tour
2) an official college transcript
3) two letters of recommendation
4) a resume
5) contact information, especially an email address, to:

Scott Jensen
School of Communications
Webster University
470 E. Lockwood Ave
St. Louis, MO

If you have questions, please feel free to contact Scott Jensen via email at
jensensc at webster.edu or via telephone at (314) 968-7439.

Finalists will be selected from the applicant pool and invited to attend the
tryouts in Washington, DC. Finalists will be notified by email as soon as
possible after November 13th, and will receive an information packet
describing the interview format, interview times, lodging options, and so
on. Transportation and lodging expenses of attending the tryouts are the
responsibility of applicants; CIDD will provide meals during the interviews
and will reimburse up to $200 in travel and lodging expenses. Two
participants will be chosen to represent the United States on an
all-expense-paid tour.

N.B.  Tryouts for the 2007 Japan tour will also be held at this same time.
You may apply to both tours, but you should send separate applications for
each tour.

Scott Jensen
Associate Professor & Director of Forensics
School of Communication
Webster University
470 East Lockwood Ave
St. Louis, MO  63119
(314) 968-7439
jensensc at webster.edu

"There is a place where our passionate commitments converge, and it is there
that fathering and baseball intertwine.  The lessons I have learned in one
have instructed me int he other; how in fathering as in baseball you have to
work on fundamentals, develop good habits, avoid errors, work on your
control, and always keep in mind that you can't win them all."
   Jack Petrash,  "Covering Home"

--
Allan D. Louden, Director of Debate
Wake Forest University