[eDebate] Motions for Intl Debate Academy
Thu Oct 12 02:14:47 CDT 2006
For full information about the program, please consult:
or scroll to the bottom of this page.
MOTIONS FOR THE 2006 INTERNATIONAL DEBATE ACADEMY
The European Parliament is a significant sponsor of this event.
For a discussion about the precise powers of the European Parliament, go
It seems clear that they would have to vote on any of these motions
below. In any case, the debate can continue as the words ?European
Parliament? serve the same function as ?This House? does in other motions.
1. European Parliament is as important as the national parliaments.
2. The voting age for the elections of European Parliament should be 16
3. It is justified to have affirmative action for European Parliament
elections to achieve higher representation of women among its members.
4. It is justified for Roma to have a special seat in the European
5. It is justified for youth to have a special seat in the European
6. In the European Parliament each European Union member country should
have the same number of members.
7. In the European Parliament there should be representation only by
European political parties.
8. European Parliament should operate only in the European Union working
9. European Parliament is not needed.
10. European Parliament should be placed in Brussellex.
11. European Parliament should act to promote a mission to send humans
12. European Union should adopt the immigration document system of the
13. European Parliament should act to promote increased availability of
genetically modified foods in its market.
14. European Parliament should become a real parliament.
15. European Parliament should act to promote reduction of agricultural
16. European Union should adopt the federal presidential system of the
17. European Parliament should act to promote the American system of
18. European Parliament should be willing to act to promote additional
protection from terrorism at the expense of human rights.
19. European Parliament should condemn Iran?s nuclear program.
20. European Parliament should condemn continued United States military
presence in Iraq.
21. European Parliament should condemn current detention of illegal
22. European Parliament should condemn continued NATO military presence
23. European Parliament should act to promote legalized prostitution in
the European Union.
24. European Parliament should act to promote the legalization of
marijuana for personal use in the European Union.
25. European Parliament should act to condemn all smoking in public
places in the European Union.
26. European Parliament should act to condemn the expansion of nuclear
power to generate electricity.
27. European Parliament should act to promote the expansion of wind
power to generate electricity.
28. European Parliament should act to promote a free university
education to all ineligible students with a high school diploma
29. European Parliament should act to condemn the centralization of
30. European Parliament should act to condemn spending public money for art.
INTERNATIONAL DEBATE ACADEMY SLOVENIA
For university students
17th ? 24th November 2006, Ormoz, Slovenia
ZIP ? Za in proti (ZIP), Pro et Contra, Institute for the Culture of
WDI ? World Debate Institute, Vermont, USA
Shortly, what is it about?
It is about intensive debate training & debate tournament & a lot of
fun. It is organized by ZIP ? Pro et Contra, Institute of Culture of
Dialogue, Slovenia, and WDI ? World Debate Institute, Vermont, USA. Head
of Trainers is Alfred C. Snider, worldwide known professor of debate
from the World Debate Institute. Participants will be provided with a
research package that will include basic information about the topics
covered. The essence of the Academy will be interactive workshops, based
on practice. At the end of the Academy, there will be a tournament in
British Parliamentary Style.
IDAS 2003 & IDAS 2004 & IDAS 2005
We are organizing International Debate Academy Slovenia for the 4th
time. The first one, IDAS 2003, was a modest start with 40 participants
from Germany, Slovakia the USA and Slovenia. The IDAS 2004 was a huge
success ? over 60 participants from 13 countries from all over Europe
and America (Bulgaria, Croatia, England, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia,
Romania, Russia, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovakia, Sweden, the USA, and
Slovenia). We had trainers from the USA, England, Serbia and Slovenia.
The ambassadors of the USA and EU, who joined the discussions on the
transatlantic relations, also visited us. Not many events do have such
high-ranking guests. IDAS 2005 was a further step towards international
success ? about 60 participants form 19 countries and excellent debate
trainers form Asia, Europe, and America.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, MORE DETAILED INFORMATION
For whom do we organize it?
We organize IDAS2005 for ALL university students from all over the world.
It is designed for students who want to develop their rhetorical and
debate skills and deepen their knowledge on current socio-political
issues. We will have various workshops in small groups ? for
experienced, for less experienced debaters and also for debaters with no
experience. At the end of the Academy everybody will debate and have the
opportunity to learn from each other.
Activities during the Academy will be divided in three parts:
1. Interactive debate training during the first days of IDAS 2006. This
is the main and the most important part. The Academy will consist of
lectures, workshops and debates. We will provide further knowledge on
debating and public speaking by working with famous debate trainers for
students whose debating skills and experience vary and bring together
international university students and experts to engage in discussions
on the issue of importance, confronting their own views, opinions and
ideas as well as those of others.
2. Debate tournament: we will have a real debate tournament at the end
of the Academy. There will be a chance for participants with different
levels of experience to debate with each other and by that learn from
3. Evening activities: we will organize a kitch-party, a country
exhibition (presentation of food & drinks, history, politics, etc. of
every country participating ? the real international cultural exchange),
fun games, dancing + lots of talking and getting to know each other
(maybe even a chance for a romance?).
Participation fee & what does it cover?
The participation fee will be 190 Euro.
There might be a possibility for scholarships ? it depends on the
funding we will get. No worries ? apply and we will inform you about
these possibilities as soon as we get this information!
The sum of 190 Euro covers virtually everything ? training, tournament,
accommodation and three meals per day. You only have to cover your
travel expenses. There are great opportunities to come to Slovenia by
low-cost airlines: easyJet to Ljubljana, Ryanair to Graz in Austria,
many low-cost airlines to Zagreb etc. If you plan your trip in advance,
you can get return tickets from London for as little as 50-100 Euro.
Contact us on IDAS2006 at gmail.com and let us become your travel advisor!
The sooner you apply the higher your chances of being accepted will be.
We will be able to accept only a limited number of participants!
Conditions for applying:
? Be a university student
? Fill in the online application form. The application form is available
Criteria for acceptance of participants:
? 'First come first serve' rule will apply
? This criteria will be corrected by the criteria of quota per country ?
we want to assure a true international environment
On behalf of the
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna
Edwin Lawrence Professor of Forensics
University of Vermont
Huber House, 475 Main Street, UVM, Burlington, VT 05405 USA
Global Debate Blog http://debate.uvm.edu/debateblog/
Debate Training site http://debate.uvm.edu
World Debate Institute http://debate.uvm.edu/wdi/
GATEWAY TO ALL THINGS DEBATE http://debateoneworld.org
802-656-0097 office telephone
802-656-4275 office fax
More information about the Mailman