[eDebate] Richmond prefs (Update 5 or 6 for those counting)

Kuswa, Kevin kkuswa
Thu Oct 12 02:19:47 CDT 2006

Hi all,

Preferences for the Weinberg Tournament at UR are now open on the debater results site.  They will be open until Friday afternoon, possibly right up to registration.  The sooner you fill them out, the better.

Before the details, we want to thank JON BRUSCHKE once again for his incredible time-saving web site.  JON HAS ALSO ADDED THE "JUDGE BOOK" FEATURE!  This is an awesome tool for filling our prefs--it will list all the judge philosophies for the judges at the tourney who have pasted them on the site.  Look for the link under "view entries."

Some more specific information you will want to take into account:

1. We are counting each judge as 1 unit, regardless of how many rounds they are judging (head count).  This is because round numbers per judge continue to change and there are a large number of constraints increasing our need for flexibility.

2. You may want to take into account the number of rounds being judged.  In other words, you might be scared of getting "Mr. Dumb-Ass" but end up taking the risk because he is only judging 1 round.  That information is pasted below.

3. A few judges are novice or jv only.  That information is also listed below.  This means that the pool of available judges is smallest for varsity and largest for novice.  Varsity teams will probably decide to rank the novice-only judges as "A+s"---I'm not sure how the numbers will play out, but I think that means varsity teams are slightly less likely to receive A+s assuming an equal number selected by each team.

4. Some Richmond judges (Kuswa, McCarthy, Hanson, Christensen) are only signed up for 1 round.  This is because we are not yet sure if those people are showing up (I suppose including me) or we do not know if they will be used at all.

5. Some judges are not judging Monday or are ONLY judging Monday.  That information is also pasted below--prefs will extend into out-rounds so you can pref those people based on whether you think you will clear.  If you do not think you will clear (remember, HALF the teams clear), it doesn't matter much how you rank the Monday only people.  If you are confident you will clear, you will want to be more careful with the Monday only people.

6. We are still looking for more judges---anyone who enters the pool after registration will be put on a supplemental strike sheet to be distributed at the tournament.  We will make sure those people have philosophies pasted (paste your philosophies!) and we will let you know if they are judging on Monday or not.

7. The numbers you should have....

Minimum---35 A+
variable number of As
Maximum---15 B+
Maximum---3 strikes

Suggestion for completion:  Make sure you have at least 35 A+ judges.  Make sure you have only 3 strikes (Bs).  Make sure you have only 15 B+ judges.   All the rest are As or constrained.

We will try to use the prefs starting in round one for those teams filling them out before registration.

good luck,