[eDebate] Leadership Award to Neil Berch

Darren Elliott delliott
Sun Oct 15 13:25:18 CDT 2006

In our 4th year of giving out the Dr. Amy Fugate Leadership Award at the KCKCC Tournament, we have chosen Dr. Neil Berch of WVU.

Following is the text of the remarks I made at the Awards Assembly today:

"3 YEARS AGO WE BEGAN THE TRADITION OF GIVING OUT AN AWARD TO HONOR A LEADER IN THE CEDA ORGANIZATION.  WE NAMED IT IN HONOR OF DR. AMY FUGATE, LONG TIME COACH AT JOHNSON COUNTY C.C., FORMER DEAN OF HUMANITIES AND FINE ARTS AT KCKCC, AND NOW THE CURRENT V.P. FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS AT MOTT C.C. IN FLINT MICHIGAN.  WHEN SHE LEFT US UNEXPECTEDLY LAST MONTH TO TAKE THE JOB IN MICHIGAN I THREATENED TO TAKE HER NAME OFF THE AWARD.  BUT I WAS NICE AND DECIDED TO LEAVE IT IN PLACE.  :  )  DR. FUGATE WAS A LEADER IN BOTH CEDA AND THE NDT.  PREVIOUS RECIPIENTS WERE ML SANDOZ OF VANDERBILT, JEFF JARMAN OF WICHITA STATE, AND ERIC MORRIS OF MISSOURI STATE.  THIS YEAR'S CHOICE IS A VERY INTERESTING STUDY IN COACHING DYNAMICS.  THEY HAVE A COMMITMENT TO CEDA IN GENERAL AND DEBATE IN PARTICULAR THAT IS AMAZING.  I HAVE WATCHED THEM TAKE YOUNG DEBATERS WITH NO EXPERIENCE AND TURN THEM INTO AMAZING DEBATERS AND HELP THEM BECOME AMAZING PEOPLE.  THIS YEARS RECIPIENT IS ALWAYS WILLING TO PROVIDE INSIGHT AND VOLUNTEER TO HELP ON CEDA COMMITTEES.  THEY HAVE PROVIDED VERY USEFUL STATISTICAL ANALYSIS ON TRENDS IN DEBATE, BE IT THE MAKE UP OF JUDGING POOLS IN TERMS OF RACE OR GENDER, OR THE KIND OF TEAMS THAT ADVANCE TO LATE ELIMS IN NATIONAL TOURNAMENTS.  IN FACT ANYTIME A STATISTICAL ISSUE COMES UP THE FIRST PERSON I THINK OF IS THIS YEARS RECIPIENT.  I WILL OFTEN SHOOT THEM AN EMAIL WHEN I HAVE QUESTIONS OR THOUGHTS ABOUT ANY OF THESE ISSUES.  WHEN I SEE HIM INTERACT WITH HIS DEBATERS I AM AMAZED AT THE ADMIRATION THEY HAVE FOR HIM.  HIS DEBATERS' RESPECT OF HIM IS WITHOUT QUESTION.  ONE OF THIS PERSON'S DEBATERS JUST THIS WEEKEND DESCRIBED HIM AS A "FATHER AWAY FROM HOME". LAST YEAR HE PROVIDED AN AMAZING SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY WHEN HE HOSTED A LARGE NATIONAL TOURNAMENT, PROVIDED UNBELIEVABLE HOSPITALITY AND DID IT ALL ON HIS OWN UNIVERSITY'S DIME.  IF YOU HAVENT FIGURED OUT WHO I AM TALKING ABOUT YET, MAYBE THIS LAST CLUE WILL HELP.  TALK ABOUT ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP.  HE IS THE ONLY PERSON IN THE HISTORY OF CEDA (AS FAR AS RECORDS INDICATE) THAT WAS  ELECTED TO OFFICE TO BE A REGIONAL REP BY A REGION HE WAS NOT EVEN IN.  THAT'S RIGHT ANOTHER REGION ELECTED HIM TO BE THEIR REP.  IT IS MY PLEASURE TO PRESENT THIS YEAR'S CEDA LEADERSHIP AWARD TO WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY'S DR. NEIL BERCH.  DR. BERCH COULD NOT BE HERE THIS WEEKEND AND HAS BEEN EXPERIENCING SOME MINOR ILLNESS BUT HE IS DOING MUCH BETTER NOW.  BUT I WOULD ASK HIS DEBATERS TO COME ACCEPT THE AWARD FOR HIM.  KAYDEN AND SAMANTHA." chief Darren ElliottDirector of Debate--KCKCCCEDA 2nd VP