[eDebate] Coaches Award to Jason Russell

Darren Elliott delliott
Sun Oct 15 13:28:39 CDT 2006

In our 4th year of giving out the Coaches Award, designed to honor the hard working coaches, especially assistant coaches in our activity, we have chosen Jason Russell of Oklahoma University.

Following are the remarks I made in presenting the award at the assembly today:

"3 YEARS AGO WE BEGAN A TRADITION OF HONORING THE COACHES IN OUR ACTIVITY.  PREVIOUS WINNERS WERE JAMES TAYLOR OF EMPORIA, HEATHER WALTERS OF MISSOURI STATE, AND MATT MOORE OF AUGUSTANA COLLEGE.  WE FEEL THE ROLE THAT ASST. COACHES PLAY IS AN ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT ONE.  THEY OFTEN TAKE ON A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF THE WORK FOR LITTLE PAY.  THEY CUT CARDS, THEY DRIVE VANS, THEY GET FOOD FOR THE TEAMS, THEY STAY UP ALL NIGHT WORKING ON STRATEGIES AND THEY JUDGE A LOT OF DEBATES.  IT IS NO SURPRISE THAT THIS YEAR'S RECIPIENT EMBODIES ALL THOSE QUALITIES.  THIS YEAR'S RECIPIENT IS SOMEONE WHO IS CONSISTENTLY RATED AMONG THE BEST JUDGES AT EVERY TOURNAMENT.  VERY FEW PEOPLE  HAVE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A GOOD DEBATER AND A GOOD JUDGE.  SOME WERE A GOOD DEBATER AND MAYBE NOT A GOOD JUDGE.  OTHERS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN THE BEST DEBATERS BUT TURNED INTO EXCELLENT CRITICS.  THIS YEAR'S RECIPIENT EMBODIES BOTH CHARACTERISTICS.  HE BROUGHT HIS DIVERSE TALENTS TO A DIVERSE SQUAD WHEN HE RETURNED TO CEDA'S MID-AMERICA REGION.  HIS POST-ROUND CRITIQUES ARE VERY INSIGHTFUL.  AND IF NOTHING ELSE HE WILL MAKE YOU LAUGH AND NOT JUST BECAUSE OF HOW HE LOOKS.  :  )  HE TRULY IS A FUNNY GUY, HE WAS A GREAT DEBATER AND HE IS A GREAT JUDGE AND COACH.  MY SQUAD SELDOM AGREES ON ISSUES UNANIMOUSLY BUT THIS WAS AN EASY DECISION FOR THEM.  IT IS MY PLEASURE TO PRESENT THIS YEAR'S AWARD TO JASON RUSSELL OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA."

chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate--KCKCC
CEDA 2nd VP