[eDebate] grad school & coaching at Wyoming

matt stannard stannardmatt
Mon Oct 16 10:46:03 CDT 2006

The University of Wyoming will have an opening for a graduate assistant
coach beginning in the Fall of 2007. It's not too early to contact me if you
are interested in the position.

The position pays your tuition and provides a more-than-sufficient living
stipend to complete an MA in Communication Studies or Journalism. There is
no teaching requirement for debate GAs, but you can assist in a variety of
teaching contexts (such as the Argumentation class and forensics practicum)
if you want that on your vitae.

Our department is cutting-edge and diverse; you can study rhetoric, media
criticism, cultural and intercultural communication, comm.theory and
science, public relations, and "hard" journalism.  We offer graduate courses
in African American rhetoric, the rhetoric of religion, hip hop and punk
rock, deliberation theory, a whole range of ethics courses, technology and
society, and more.

UW debaters travel both a national and regional schedule in NDT/CEDA and
parliamentary debate. Graduate coaching assistants travel to tournaments
with the team, coach, assist with research, judge debates, listen to
practice rounds, etc. The Director of Forensics shares these
responsibilities. We have a pluralistic and democratic philosophy of debate
with a great deal of ideological and methodological diversity.

Our success rate for placing former Wyoming assistant coaches is simply
incredible. We have placed Directors of Forensics at Lousiana State, Marist
College, and Regis, PhD candidates at Penn State and SIU, and assistant
directors at Damien HS and Weber State University.  Another former assistant
is on the faculty in our department.  You WILL get a job after going through
our program.

Finally, Laramie is an extremely cheap place to live, and you're moments
away from some of the most beautiful mountain ranges and recreation areas in
the country.

If you are interested in the position, there are two things you should do:

1. Email me. I will answer any questions you have, and will also forward
your contact information to Dr. Mike Brown, our Director of Graduate
Studies.

2. Check out the department and the grad school. The department's home page
is: http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/COJO/. The department's graduate studies page
is: http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/COJO/grad.asp

Please contact me with any questions. Best of luck this season.

Matt Stannard
Director of Forensics
University of Wyoming