[eDebate] Val Browning Round Robin Invitation

Richard TEWS RTEWS
Wed Oct 18 15:37:44 CDT 2006

October 15th, 2006

Dear Directors and Coaches:

[Please note if we have 14 teams we have 6 prelim rounds, if we have 16
teams we will have 7 prelim rounds.  Due to limited conference space at
our new venue, we will have to limit our entries to 16.  If you have any
questions please do not hesitate to contact me.  Thanks, Omar]

The Val Browning Round Robin will have a new date this year: The
weekend of Jan 20-21, 2007.  We will offer a competitive, yet inclusive,
round robin consisting of 7 preliminary debates and 2 elimination
rounds.  A total of 16 teams can participate.  Please enter at
www.debateresults.com ( http://www.debateresults.com/ ) . Time limits
will be 9-3-6-10.  We will debate the 2006-2007 CEDA/NDT Topic.  Weber
State team(s) will participate and are eligible for elimination rounds
and speaker awards.  The tournament will abide by the CEDA
Constitution's statements on eligibility, sexual harassment, and
evidence challenges.  The tournament will be sanctioned by CEDA.

All rounds will be held inside the Eccles Conference Center:
[http://oecenter.com ( http://oecenter.com/ ) ].

You'll be staying at brand new Hampton Suites Hotel:
[http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=OGDUTHX
].

We will provide two lunch buffets during the course of the prelim
rounds.

Now for the questions:

1.  Where do I book rooms?  Call the Hampton Inn. Tel: +1-801-394-9400
group name is Weber State Debate 20 rooms (all doubles, unless otherwise
requested) $63 + tax.  2401 Washington Boulevard, Ogden, Utah, United
States 84401

2.  How do I schedule a shuttle?  Email Omar at Oguevara at weber.edu to
arrange transportation from SLC to the Ogden Marriot.

3.  What if I decide to rent a car? Directions are simple: From the
airport, take I-80 East to I-15 North. Drive about 30 minutes, take the
24th street exit (exit number #345) and turn right.  Follow the road for
about two miles and after the bridge, the Hampton is on the right (can't
miss it).

4.  How much are team fees? In the ideal world, we would not charge
entry fees.  Unfortunately, that is no longer financially or politically
possible.  Thus the fee is $150 per team.  Each team MUST HAVE one
critic who is available to judge up to 7 prelim debates and be available
for finals.  I know there will be strong interest in having a preference
system, so please having all critics registered to judge 7 debates so
the tab room has maximum flexibility in giving your teams the best
preference sheet possible.

Please note: Your entry fees covers two debaters and one coach for the
banquet.  If you exceed you entry fee allocation, you will required to
pay and additional $50 dollars for each coach, judge, or guest.  This
policy will be enforced.

5. What does the schedule look like?

Friday, January 19th, 2007

6-9 PM:        Registration and Welcome Room, First Floor of Hampton.
Strike sheets and Pairings will be available.  Hospitality room will be
open as of 6PM.

Saturday, January 20th, 2007

8:00 AM * 10:00 AM:        Round #1

10:00 AM * 12:00PM:       Round #2

12:00PM * 2:00 PM:         Banquet Lunch

2:00 PM*4:00 PM:          Round #3

4:00 PM *6:00 PM:                    Round #4

6:00 PM * 8:00 PM:          Round #5

8:00 PM -- ??:                  Hospitality Room Open

Sunday, January 21st, 2007

9:00 AM * 11:00 AM:        Round #6

11:00 AM * 1:00PM:         Round #7

1:00 PM * 3:00 PM:          Banquet Awards Lunch. Elimination Round
Participants and Judges Announced.

3:00 PM *5:00 PM:            Semifinals (cross-pod, 3 or 5 critics]

6: 00 PM * 8:00 PM:         Finals [5 or 7 critic panel]

8:00 PM -- ??:                  Hospitality Room Open.

6.  Will brackets be broken for elimination debates? Yes, if need be.

7.  How will teams be assigned to pods? The Tournament Directors will
calibrate the wheels accordingly. The intent being to create two
competitively balanced pods.

8.  Who will run the tab room?:  Glen Frappier, Director of Forensics @
Gonzaga University, will be the Tab Room Director.

The Val Browning Round Robin is a long-standing tradition in District
9. Please consider joining us for what will be a truly competitive and
entertaining time. If you have questions or concerns, please do not
hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely Yours,

Omar G Guevara II
Director of Forensics & Lecturer