[eDebate] GOTHAM DEBATE HOTEL BLOCK CLOSES FRIDAY

V I Keenan vikeenan
Mon Oct 30 17:02:19 CST 2006

Hey folks -

The Gotham Debates in NYC are only 3 weeks away!  It's a great last chance
to get some debates in this fall before students have exams, a good
alternative if you didn't get everyone off the Wake waitlist, something for
assistant coaches and debaters to do during NCA, and we'll be featuring a
rookie division if you have those last few novices with travel conflicts or
who have debate class requirements.  And of course, it's a great reason to
come to NYC!

The hotel block closes FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 3rd!  The Days Inn North Bergen has
a block of double-double at $149.00/night (we've adjusted registration fees
to offset the cost).  It's in NJ, almost a straight line to the Lincoln
Tunnel which is 15 minutes from the Baruch campus.  I've repasted the
information below, along with the other hotels I suggested if you want to
shop around. We know some of you are staying with friends, family and alums
in the city as well.

Email me if you have questions or requests.  We hope to see you there!
-VIK

*The Tournament Hotel*: Days Inn North Bergen - There are 35 double-double
reserved for 1-4 occupancy at $149.00 (plus tax).  This hotel is almost a
straight line to the Lincoln Tunnel, and less than 6 miles from the college
(of course, that is 6 miles of New York City driving, but unlike our debate
team, you will probably not be traveling in it during rush hour).  It does
not have breakfast, but our tournament does.

The hotel information is:

DAYS INN ? North Bergen
2750 Tonnelle Ave/I-495
I-495 & US 1 & 9
North Bergen, NJ 07047 US

Phone: 201-348-3600
Fax:  201-330-8932

The block is reserved under the BARUCH COLLEGE DEBATE TOURNAMENT (Group
Code: BCT/GSCH).  Gina Menta is the Director of Sales, and Irma in sales
also worked with this account if you have problems.

You must reserve rooms by *Friday, November 3rd*, after which the rooms will
be released.  It is the weekend before Thanksgiving, so space is tight (and
expensive) in the city. It is possible to make arrangements with the hotel
to extend your stay if necessary.

*Other hotels*:  I know that the hotel rate is expensive compared to other
tournaments, and we appreciate that you may wish to find other
accommodations at a cheaper price.  The following hotels are also located
close to the Lincoln Tunnel and have limited space the weekend of the
tournament. Not have internet access and some of the choices may not have
the best reputation (hence, not the tournament hotel choice).  I suggest the
Howard Johnson North Bergen as your best cheap bet ? they do not have
wireless access, but they are good quality.  Sadly, they don't reserve
blocks of rooms.

Palace Hotel (201) 866-0400 ? average rate $120.00
2600 Tonnelle Ave , North Bergen, NJ 07047-2296

Ramada Limited Jersey City (201)-432-6100  ? average rate $120.00
65 Tonnelle Ave, Jersey City, NJ  07306

Super 8 Motel North Bergen ? average rate $80.00-$110.00
2800 Columbia Avenue, 495 East & Lincoln Tunnel Rd, North Bergen, NJ 07047

 (!)Howard Johnson North Bergen (800-664-6835) average rate $90.00
1300 Tonnelle Avenue, North Bergen, NJ  07047

**Comfort Suites North Bergen ? average rate $115.00 ? A great deal usually
if you can get it, but had no rooms available on Saturday night last time I
checked.
1200-1218 Tonnelle Avenue, North Bergen, NJ 07047

Many of the above hotels have shuttle service to Times Square/Penn Station
if you were looking for ways to not drive into the city.  I cannot vouch for
the efficiency of those shuttles.  The NJ Transit buses also service this
area and the local PATH train to NYC.

Definitely further (+10 miles), but better value for dollar:

Hampton Inn Secaucus Meadowlands (201)867-4400: average rate $90.00
250 Harmon Meadow Blvd, Secaucus, NJ 07094

Red Roof Inn Meadowlands (800)346-8357:  average rte $110.00
15 Meadowlands Rd, Secaucus, NJ

If you don't mind an additional 10 miles or so, the Newark Airport hotels
may also be an option.

--
Vik Keenan
Director - Baruch Debate, CUNY