[eDebate] CEDA Backfile project

Mikedavis13 at aol.com Mikedavis13
Thu Oct 5 14:26:27 CDT 2006

Not sure why it was sent as an attachment, but here is the e-mail  again.

From: Andrew Barnes <barnesad at jmu.edu>
To: Michael Davis  <davismk at JMU.EDU>
Subject: Please forward to edebate

It was recently mentioned to me that I have made  several attempts to
collect backfiles from the from the community but I have  not presented
an argument as to why people would have incentive to  contribute to the
backfile project. So, for those of you who are not  persuaded at this
time to contribute please let me suggest some reasons as  to why it would
be beneficial for you, your squad and the community to  participate in
this project.

Recent census data from our community  indicates that there is a serious
problem  with not only the resources  of particular programs but also in
retention of programs. Many people have  speculated and studied a myriad
of causes for this problem. Among these  causes is what the community has
termed "resource disparity". Many programs  that have abandoned policy
debate have indicated that they have done so due  to their concerns over
their inability to keep up with competition that have  the ability to do
more research. Smaller and/or lesser experienced programs  also have
specific difficulty in keeping up with larger and/or established
programs because the smaller institutions usually find it necessary to
conduct extensive backfile work as well as topic specific work. Our
ability to address this problem could be easily resolved through the
implementation of a universal distribution of community donated
backfiles. The incentive to participate is two fold: 1) you will be
doing the entire community a service because you will be helping teams
compete which is good for everyone [no competition = no debate] and 2)
you will have access to backfiles that your squad does not currently
have access to.

Some people have argued that there could be several  problems 1) people
won't contribute to maintain a competitive advantage visa  vi the rest of
the community and 2) there were be free-riders. It is  entirely possible
and probable that squads across the nation will not donate  ALL of their
backfiles immediately. Nor should they. The project right now  is focused
on collecting all camp backfiles and whatever else squads want to  submit
at this point. It is hoped that this creates a norm throughout the
community to donate to the backfile project so that future requests will
be met with a positive response. At this point, a wait and see approach
is also best because it is not known what will be contributed. After we
have a baseline collection then and only then can specific requests be
made to fill in the gaps. Additionally, people will only donate what
they are comfortable donating and I for one am uncomfortable asking for
more than that at this time. There might be squads out there that rely
on a certain set of arguments that they do not want to share for various
reasons. And that is fine. However, that doesn't mean that they won't
contribute other files. And I suspect that they will. That brings me to
the second counterargument. It is my opinion that the gravity of the
situation created by the problem this project seeks to partially resolve
means that we must adopt an attitude of positivism rather than
skepticism. Some schools will take longer to submit files because they
are not scanned. Some schools will have trouble organizing the files
that they want to submit because lets face it, students and debate
administrators are all equally busy. The point of all this is that if we
as a community adopt an attitude whereby we refuse to contribute until
others have or because we are worried about free-riders, the project
will never get off of the ground. However, if we all put our faith in
the community, which we do so often for personal or other reasons, I
think this project will be a success. So, ultimately no one can
guarantee that there won't be any free riders but I can guarantee that
at this time I can't for the life of me come up with a reason why every
squad in the country couldn't donate at least one file. And with that in
mind, I will do my damnedest to keep track of every squad that has
donated, and what they have donated so that I can petition those that
haven't.

I do recognize that this project will take awhile to get  running. I have
to collect all of the files, establish hosting capabilities  with CEDA,
create a webpage and then upload all of the information. However,  it is
a project that can be fully operational by the second semester at the
earliest and the summer at the latest. I also recognize that it won't
solve all of the problems that we currently face in terms of retention
but I do think that it is a good faith effort by the community to
demonstrate that we care about all programs and that the community
itself is dedicated to fairness and strong competition. If anyone would
like to discuss the matter with me further please do not hesitate to
contact me. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your
cooperation and contributions.

Sincerely,

Andrew D.  Barnes
2268 Harrison Hall