[eDebate] NK Tests

Jason Jarvis debatekorea
Mon Oct 9 22:17:08 CDT 2006

Selig Harrison is my hero.  One of the most bizarre, and oft repeated
statements I have read about Kim Jong IL/North Korea is that its actions are
"erratic, irrational and unpredictable."  I can only conclude that this is
propaganda in an effort to validate a failed policy with regard to the
North.

To the contrary, North Korea's actions in response to US isolation policies
are 100% predictable.  I can honestly say that I have never, ever seen a
Korean respond positively to harsh words or abuse of any kind, particularly
when such things take place in public (or private for that matter).
Confucianism is alive and well here, and subordinates never challenge their
boss or an elder, even when those folks have dumb ideas.  Disagreement
ALWAYS means disrespect, and the language contains so many subtleties that
its possible to insult someone without even saying anything mean, just by
using an inappropriate honorific ending to a sentence.

In every situation when a Korean is insulted, the Korean will respond with a
more aggressive, more hostile act.  This is because to not do so is to lose
face and act in a manner entirely inconsistent with Korean culture.  The
North Koreans may seem "irrational" to the Western mind, but publicly
questioning a Korean in a position of authority is exceptionally rude
here...even in the South which is a developing democracy.

Take US policy and place it in the Korean cultural context: branding the
North part of the "Axis of Evil", using John Bolton as your key negotiator
here (he was in charge of Arms Control before the UN), the economic
sanctions that started with the Macao bank, ending KEDO b/c oil shipments
were stopped.  Honestly, what the hell did they think the North was going to
do?

Jimmy Carter as Clinton's envoy was successful because he understood Korean
culture, talked to the Koreans privately and made sincere efforts to give
them space to look as though the concessions they made were their idea.  The
failure of the Bushies is that they have ignored Korean culture and
Boltonized their foreign policy.  Direct, bilateral negotiations are the
only option, everything else is doomed to fail and will only exacerbate
tensions in this region.

For all of the failures in Iraq, US policy in Northeast Asia might actually
be worse.  IMHO, it is remarkable that it took this long for NK to test
their nukes.....lets hope that Japan doesnt decide to re-arm because then
things will spiral out of control.

Jason L. Jarvis

Assistant Dean and Lecturer,
Korea Development Institute Graduate School of Public Policy and Management
http://www.kdischool.ac.kr/
OP: 82-2-3299 1031
*********
Director, Asian Debate Institute