[eDebate] Write no more letters for me!!

Ross K. Smith smithr
Mon Oct 23 16:11:15 CDT 2006

Yes, for those who asked, the policy is ridiculous as applied in this
instance. For the curious, here is my correspondence (reverse
chronological order) with the paper (the paper did endorse me last week
so it is not like they do not want me to win).

-----------------------------
My last reply:

I understand. My point was simply that letters from people who have
known me best and for the longest period of time do serve your readers best.

On 10/23/2006 3:53 PM, lvvvv at wsjournal.com wrote:

  > Our first obligation is to our local readers. Right now, we are going
to have a difficult time processing and publishing all the letters sent
from people who live here, read the paper and perhaps even subscribe to
it. I understand your argument, but we simply cannot open the pages to
people from other states at this point. Surely you have some local
supporters who would write -- colleagues, present students, neighbors,
campaign workers.

Paper to me:

Hello, We are receiving letters to the editor from out of state in
support of your candidacy. We do not print letters from outside our
circulation area, especially not while we are receiving more letters
from our readers than we can handle. Please don't ask your friends and
associates elsewhere to send letters. Thank you,

--
Ross K. Smith
Debate Coach

336-758-5268