[eDebate] Frank Harrison's retirement

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Fri Oct 27 12:57:00 CDT 2006

I could not let this pass without comment.  When I entered the debate
community as a pressed-into-service, never-debated Director of Debate
(nothing like starting at the top!), Frank was one of the first people to
greet me and provide me with guidance on how to run a program (and seemed
pleased that I was a political scientist, with whom he could exchange
political gossip).

Over the years, as I gained an understanding of the debate community, I came
to realize how much Frank and I disagreed on debate politics, debate theory,
running a debate program, politics, and the weather forecast.  He never let
these disagreements interfere with our friendship.

I was so impressed with the way that Frank handled himself as President of
the American Debate Association.  Through a series of contentious annual
meetings (Frank presided over the infamous 10-hour business meeting), Frank
never let his very strong views interfere with his desire to be impartial in
his role as President.  He was scrupulously fair to those of us who
disagreed with him.  His integrity is impeccable.

I am so pleased that we at WVU awarded the first John Jacobsohn Memorial
Award to Frank Harrison (and Dr. Jacobsohn's family was pleased as well).
We awarded it to Frank for his commitment to public service, for his
dedication to his students and to other people's students, and, most of all,
for the example he sets in how he treats everyone he meets.

I am proud to call Frank Harrison my friend.  I hope that everyone in the
debate community will join me in wishing him a long, happy, and healthy
retirement.  I hope Frank continues to drop in at the occasional tournament;
I know I will missing seeing him on a more regular basis.

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University