[eDebate] Wayne State Motor City Classic Invite

kelly young kel1773
Tue Sep 5 13:52:34 CDT 2006

September 5, 2006

Dear Colleague:

   We invite you to join us for the annual Wayne State University Motor City
Debate Tournament in Detroit, Michigan.  This year?s tournament will be held
on the weekend of October 28-30, 2006.  Registration will take place on
Friday evening, October 27, 2006, in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency Hotel.
We look forward once again to welcoming many of you to our campus.  We
promise to doour best to make your visit to Detroit a pleasant one. We also
hope to offer a highly competitive and diverse field of debate competition.
    Our tournament is sanctioned for ADA, NDT and CEDA sweepstakes points
and offers competition     in three divisions: varsity, junior varsity, and
novice.  The varsity and junior varsity divisions will offer eight
preliminary rounds (4 on Saturday, 4 on Sunday) with all elimination rounds
in these divisions on Monday.  We will adhere to the latest ADA rules, which
can be found at http://www.kings.edu/debate/rules.htm. Hybrid teams will be
allowed to clear. Room and judge availability may affect the number of teams
clearing. Additionally, the tournament also agrees to comply with the
underlying principles of CEDA?s Statement on Sexual Harassment and
Discrimination and the Statement of Ethical Principles.

   The novice division will consist of six preliminary rounds on Saturday
and Sunday with two elimination rounds Sunday afternoon.  Novice debaters
are expected to debate both sides of the topic.  Please refer to the ADA
link provided above for ADA novice and junior varsity and varsity
eligibility standards.

*******We have a VERY limited number of judges for hire.  If you need
judges, please contact us immediately, as we cannot guarantee the
availability of judges as we near the tournament weekend. Please, do not
assume that we have judges available for you without first telling us that
you need hired judging. We cannot accommodate 5-6 schools asking for full
judges to hire.

   We hope that you will be able to visit us this fall.  We will try to
provide an enjoyable time for you in Detroit along with excellent rounds of
debate.  Enclosed is a description of tournament procedures, our schedule,
fees and housing.  If you have any questions, please call Kelly Young at
(313) 577- 2953 or email kelly.young at wayne.edu or Ron Stevenson at (313)
577-2950 or email waynedebate at hotmail.com.

Sincerely,

Kelly Young, Director of Forensics
Ron Stevenson, Director of Debate
Neil Butt, Graduate Assistant
Erika Thomas, Graduate Assistant
Donny Peters, Graduate Assistant

WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY
MOTOR CITY COLLEGE DEBATE TOURNAMENT
October 28-30, 2006

ENTRIES:
     Schools may enter as many teams in each division as they wish.  Teams
in all divisions will be expected to engage in switch-side debating.
Maverick entries are not accepted. Wayne State will enter teams and
contestants as long as those entries do not create a bye in a division.
Wayne State contestants (even in hybrid situations) will not be eligible to
clear.
     We will make every effort to avoid collapsing divisions if entries make
it possible. Should a division need to be collapsed, we will consult with
directors from programs affected to determine how we want to proceed with
such collapse.

ENTRY DEADLINES	& PROCEDURES:
Entries should be made through the Bruschke/Debate Results web page
www.debateresults.com. Please complete and verify your entry and judges no
later than 12 pm (EST) on October 25.

FEES:
Fees are $90.00 for each Varsity and Junior Varsity team and $75.00 for each
Novice team. Entry fees will cover awards, 2 continental breakfasts, 2
lunches, room use and tournament administrative expenses.

HOUSING:
A block of rooms has been reserved at the luxurious Hyatt Regency Dearborn
in the Fairlane Town Center, 600 Town Center Drive, Dearborn, MI 48126,
phone 313-593-1234 or the toll free number is 1-800-233-1234.  A flat fee of
$99.00 for a double-double with 4 occupants plus free in-room internet
access has been arranged, provided that your reservations are made before
the deadline: October 14, 2005.  Please ask for the ?Wayne State Debate Room
Block? when you make your reservations.
. Directions to the hotel and additional hotel information can be found at:
http://www.hyatt.com/common/search/worldguide/search_result.jhtml?_requestid=815012.

TOPIC:
This year?s NDT/CEDA debate resolution will be used in all three divisions.

JUDGING:
   Each school must supply four rounds of judging per two-person team
entered.  All judges must remain for the 1st set of elimination rounds on
Monday or judge one round beyond the elimination of their teams.  Judges may
be hired at $40 per round.
   IF YOU NEED HIRED JUDGING: You must make requests for hired judging as
early as possible (this was a serious problem last year and we were
under-covered seriously on rounds as a result and had to wildly scramble to
find judging at the last minute). Send all hired judging requests to Ron
Stevenson at waynedebate at hotmail.com. PLEASE INFORM US EARLY OF HIRED
JUDGING NEEDS!
   Judges should enter their judging conflicts/preclusions through the
Bruschke/Debate Results web page.
   Also, all judges should make their judging philosophies available, either
electronically on http://www.planetdebate.com/ or bring a hard copy to
registration.

TOURNAMENT PROCEDURES:
General: The tournament will follow the American Debate
Association tournament 	procedure rules, found at
http://www.kings.edu/debate/rules.htm. Additionally, we comply with the
underlying principles of CEDA?s Statement on Sexual Harassment and
Discrimination and the Statement of Ethical Principles.

Times: traditional 9-3-6 speech times, with 10 minutes of prep for each
team.

Judge Assignment: If the judge pool makes it feasible, we will attempt to
use a judge preference system beginning in round 3 (as per ADA rules,
Section II, 3B). Rounds 1 and 2 will be random judge assignment. If strikes
or a preference system are not possible, random judge assignment will be
used.

Round Pairing: Rounds 1 and 2 are random preset. If entries permit, Rounds 3
and 4 are lag-powered off of Rd. 1-2 results. Rounds 5 & 6 are lag-powered
off of Rds 1-4, with Rd 7 and 8 individually powered.

Elimination Rounds: As per ADA rules, we will clear ?no more than or less
than half of the teams competing in the preliminary rounds of debate,? if
room and judge availably allow. The only exception is in novice, which
traditionally doesn?t have enough entries to justify outrounds beyond
Semifinals. Should we have enough entries this year in this division, we
will adjust the schedule as necessary to have additional rounds.

Hybrid Teams: As allowed for by Sect. III, 6 of ADA rules, we will allow
hybrid teams to clear to elimination rounds unless the team includes a
student from Wayne State.

Sick/Ill Debaters: Should a member of a team become unable to compete in a
given debate round, the team must forfeit the round (although the round may
continue for educational purposes), but the team remains eligible for awards
and elimination rounds.

Audio-Visual Equipment: We cannot provide audio-visual equipment for you. If
you should need such items, please bring your own equipment or make
arrangements on your own.

TOURNAMENT LOCATION:
All preliminary rounds will be held in Manoogian Hall, located on the
northeast corner of Warren Ave. and the John C. Lodge Service Drive.  The
street address is 906 W. Warren Ave, Detroit, MI  48201. A campus map can be
found at: http://www.campusmap.wayne.edu/ (click on the Building Code search
option at the lower right hand side of the page and click on MANO).
Elimination debates on Monday will be held at the Student Center Building
(on the map website, building code: SCB).

PARKING:
Please use parking Lot #52 on Warren Avenue across from Manoogian Hall on
Saturday and Sunday. (On the online campus map, scroll down the search
options on the lower right side for ?Parking? and select MIXED LOT #52).
Instructions for Monday parking will be announced.

QUESTIONS OR
CONTACT INFO:	Kelly Young
			Office: 313-577-2953
			Email: Kelly.young at wayne.edu

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 27

8 p.m. - 11 p.m.

Tournament Registration
Hyatt Regency Lobby (registration table located to the Right of
the hotel registration desk)

If you are arriving late Friday night (after 11 p.m.) or Saturday morning,
please confirm your registration by calling Kelly Young at (313) 318-6328.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 28

8:30 a.m.			Continental Breakfast
9 a.m.				Round I
11 a.m.				Round II

1:00 p.m.			Lunch

2 p.m.				Round III
4 p.m.				Round IV

T.B.A.				District 5 Coaches Meeting at the Hyatt. Room and time TBA.

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 29

7:30 a.m.			Pairings released in front of Hyatt registration desk

8:00 a.m.			Continental Breakfast

8:30 a.m.			Round V
10:30 a.m.			Round VI (Varsity and JV)

12:30 p.m.			Lunch

2:00 p.m.			Round VII (Varsity and JV)
				1st Novice Elimination Rounds
4:00 p.m.			Round VIII (Varsity and JV)
				2nd Novice Elimination Rounds

T.B.A.				Teams Clearing Info released in front of Hyatt Registration desk
and on EDEBATE.

T.B.A.				Coaches and Judge Reception at the Hyatt. Room and time
TBA.

MONDAY, OCTOBER 30

7:00 a.m.			Elimination Pairings Released in front of Hyatt registration
desk

8:30 a.m.			Varsity and JV Elimination Rounds Begin?WSU Student Center

Immediately after Elim Rd 1	Awards Ceremony, Student Center Ballroom

Kelly M. Young, Ph.D.
Director of Forensics/
Assistant Professor
Communication Department