[eDebate] coaching position at Illinois State

Zompetti at aol.com Zompetti
Wed Sep 13 12:48:20 CDT 2006

If you will finishing your Master's degree this year or if you're  interested
in making a change in your current position, you should consider  coming to
ISU!

We're finally able to do conduct a search for a Director of Debate at  ISU.
I will post an official call for the position in the near future, but  I
wanted to give folks a head's up so we might be able to chat at some upcoming
tournaments.  If you're interested (or know someone who is), please come  talk to
me.  This semester I'll be at UNI, Wichita, Kentucky and  Emporia.  If those
don't work for you, send me an email!

If you're anxious to apply now, you may send the following:
1.  detailed letter of application
2.  vita
3.  copies of transcripts
4.  3 letters of recommendation

Send them to:
Cheryl Budde
4480 Communication
Illinois State University
Normal, IL  61790-4480

FAQs:

1.  What is Normal, Illinois, like?

ISU is located in Normal, Illinois (adjacent  to Bloomington) and is 45
minutes East of Peoria, 45 minutes West of Champagne,  2 hours South of Chicago, 2
hours East of St. Louis, and 2 1/2 hours West of  Indianapolis.  While
Bloomington/Normal is a small Midwestern city, we have all of the comforts of a
typical college town with a low violent crime rate and extremely affordable cost
of living.
What will the position require?
The Director of Debate position will be  responsible for the everyday
coaching and management of our growing policy  debate program.  Currently we have
three teams.  The DoD will be  expected to recruit from high schools, conduct
practice debates, oversee  research assignments, manage the debate paperwork,
organize debate squad and  team meetings, recruit and oversee a graduate
assistant, plan and prepare a  tournament schedule, attend and coach at tournaments,
and other duties typically  associated with coaching debate at this level.
Will I get to teach?
Yes.  The position is a non-tenure-track  (NTT) position that involves
teaching 2 courses a semester in addition to  coaching responsibilities.  The types
of courses taught will mainly be  introductory classes.
Will this be my  program?
Yes and No.  The DoD will be responsible for  the items listed above.
Discretionary power will reside with the DoD on  coaching and administrative issues
provided they are consistent with the overall  Forensics program at ISU.  ISU
has a dual IE/debate Forensics program, and  the DoD reports directly to me as
the Director of Forensics.  In other  words, the DoD will be working closely
with me as the program develops and  grows.
What is the salary?
Normal is a very, very, very inexpensive place to  live.  The salary for this
position is competitive with other similar  positions relative to
cost-of-living.  It is also negotiable.  Talk to  me personally about this.
What are the benefits like?
For more information on ISU employee benefits, you  can go to the ISU Human
Resources page at _http://www.hr.ilstu.edu/_ (http://www.hr.ilstu.edu/) .
Benefits are  highly competitive with other State universities.  The DoD will
receive  full medical and health insurance, as well as other standard  benefits.
Any other questions????  Please ask  me!   I hope to talk to folks at the
tournaments listed above, or feel  free to email me!
Joe Zompetti
DOF, Illinois State  University