[eDebate] Appalachian State University Invite

Nicole nicole.colston
Fri Sep 15 12:57:44 CDT 2006

Hello Everyone-  Please see our tournament invite below and attached.  We
are still negotiating tournament hotel prices, and will have more details at
the beginning of next week.  I have set the tournament up on
debateresults.com (and I actullay rememberd to establish divisions this
year, giggle).  We look forward to hosting your teams, please let me know if
there is anything that I can do to help.  Sincerely, Nicole Colston

September 15, 2006

Dear Colleague,

We are pleased to extend to you an invitation to the *67th Annual MountainDebate
* *Tournament*.  This fall, the tournament will once again be sponsored by
the Appalachian State University Forensics Union on the weekend of *November
* *10-12, 2005.*  We are expecting another tremendous showing from schools
that have previously and regularly made the trip to ASU, and look forward to
first-timers as well.

The tournament will feature Open, Junior Varsity, and Novice divisions
of *Policy
debate*.  We will abide by the CEDA rulings on these divisions.  In policy
debate we will have six preliminary rounds of competition on the 2006-07
CEDA Policy Debate Topic, plus the appropriate number of elimination rounds.
All schools are welcomed!

This year we are excited to sponsor our second annual pre-tournament
*Mountaineer
Hike* for interested debaters and coaches.  We will be hiking a local trail
(TBA), providing debaters with a fabulous view of the surrounding mountains
and some pre-tournament exercise.  Please e-mail Nicole Colston at
colstonnm at appstate.edu if you plan on attending the hike.  We will likely
meet at the tournament hotel and depart at noon on Friday, November 10th.

In addition, we are proud to provide additional *hospitality* services this
year.  We will serve lunch on Saturday, as well as coffee, water, and light
refreshments throughout the tournament.  We will also be providing menus and
*discount cards* for many of Boone's outstanding restaurants.

Remember to put Appalachian State University on your tournament schedule.  Our
entire ASU Forensics Union hopes that you will be able to join us this year
to enjoy the beautiful mountain scenery and fresh air.  If you have any
questions, please do not hesitate to call or e-mail us.

Sincerely,

Nicole Colston

Director of Forensics

Appalachian State University

(828)262-7366 (office)

colstonnm at appstate.edu

Fax: (828)262-2543

Kris Willis

Assistant Director of Forensics

Appalachian State University

(828)262-7527 (office)

williskw at appstate.edu

Policy Debate Tournament Information

* *

*ENTRIES*:      Each school may enter as many teams as it wishes in each
division.  Any student                            may be entered in Open
Division.  Only students with two years or less
experience in college debate may be entered in the JV division.  Only
those students with 2 semesters or less experience including high school
debate                                may be entered in Novice Division
(excluding Lincoln-Douglas Debate).

*FORMAT*:      The 2006-07 CEDA Policy Topic will be used for the three
policy divisions. Six preliminary rounds with appropriate elimination rounds
in each division will be offered.  Speaking times will be 9-3-6 with 10
minutes preparation.  Rounds 1 & 2 will be randomly paired.  Rounds 3 & 5
will be paired high/high based on cumulative records.  Rounds 4 & 6 will be
paired high/low within brackets and side constraints.  Speaker awards will
be given based upon adjusted speaker points (dropping highest and lowest
points), then total speaker points, then double adjusted speaker points,
then team record, then ranks.

*AWARDS*:     Appropriate awards will be provided to all teams reaching
elimination rounds

                                    and the top 5 speakers in Novice, JV and
Open Policy Debate.  Once again, a bullthrower award will be given to the
debate judge who provides constructive criticism in an imaginative way.

*JUDGES*:        Each school must provide 1 qualified judge for every 2
teams or fraction thereof                            entered.  All judges
are obligated 1 round beyond the point their team is
eliminated.  Since we have a *very* limited supply of qualified judges,
please make

                        every effort to cover your judging obligation.

*FEES*:     *$65.00 per team* and $100.00 per hired judge.

*ENTRY DEADLINE*:  Monday, November 6, 2006 at 5:00 p.m.  We prefer to
receive entries through debateresults.com.

*NO ADDS AT REGISTRATION*.  All changes or drops at registration will result
in a $15.00 fee.

 General Information

* *

*HOUSING*:  The hotel situation is still in negotiation, we will offer more
detailed information in the next week.  We are working with the following
two hotels to find the best possible price and accommodations for your team.
Hopefully, blocks will be available under "ASU Debate" for both locations.

*Comfort Suites*, (828) 268-0099, 1184 Hwy 105 (approx. $89 per room)-
Offers breakfast and high-speed Internet.  More info at
http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=NC052

*High Country Inn*, (828) 264-1000, 1785 Hwy 105 ($59 per room)-  A great
breakfast diner, the Sunrise Grill, is located within walking distance and
the hotel houses the area's largest sports bar.  More info at
http://highcountryinn.com/

Also, Boone is a tourist town and many people may be coming to enjoy the
cool fall weather.  So I *STRONGLY encourage* you to make your reservations
two weeks in advance.

Other hotels in the area: (Expect to pay between $90.00 and $150.00 a night
excluding tax.)

Super 8 Motel-            (828) 264-4133 (formerly the Greystone Lodge)

Holiday Inn Express- (828) 264-2451

Greene's Motel -          (828) 264-8845

Fairfield Inn & Suites             (828) 268-0677

* *

*GENERAL DIRECTIONS TO HOTEL*:

The *High Country Inn* is located at 1785 NC Highway 105, Boone, NC 28607.  An
excellent landmark is the large waterwheel at the hotel entrance.

The *Comfort Suites* is located at 1184 Hwy 105, Boone, NC 28607.

If you arrive in Boone on Hwy 421 North, turn left onto Hwy 105.  You will
cross over Hwy 321 and the hotels will be less than a mile.

If you arrive in Boone on Hwy 321 North, turn left onto Hwy 105, and the
hotels will be less than a mile.

Of course if you arrive in Boone on either Hwy 421 or Hwy 321 South, you
will turn right onto Hwy 105, and the hotels will be less than a mile.

If you arrive in Boone on Hwy 105 North, hotels will be shortly after you
enter the city limits.

*GENERAL DIRECTIONS FROM HOTELS TO REGISTRATION AT ASU*:

Turn out of the parking lot onto Hwy 105 towards Hwy 321 (towards town).  At
the Wendy's intersection, turn left onto Hwy 321 North.  Stay in the left
hand lane.  At the second stop light, turn left onto Rivers Street.  At the
fourth stop light (not counting the stop light at the pedestrian cross
walk), turn right onto Bodenheimer/Depot St.  Turn left onto Howard Street
Campus maps are also available at http://www.web.appstate.edu/maps/ .

                                                  2006 ASU Policy Debate
Schedule

*Friday, November 11th*

Noon - 3:00 p.m.         Mountaineer Hike (Join us for a short hike with
amazing views!)

3:00 - 5:00 p.m.           Registration (2nd Floor Lobby of Raley Hall)

5:00 - 7:00 p.m.           Round I

7:30 - 9:30 p.m.           Round II

*Saturday, November 12th*

8:30 - 10:30a.m.          Round III

11:00 - 1:00 p.m.         Round IV

1:00 - 2:00 p.m.           Lunch Break

2:30 ? 4:30 p.m.          Round V

5:00 - 7:00 p.m.           Round VI

7:30 ? 9:30 p.m.          Octofinals (If necessary)

*Sunday, November 13th*

8:30 - 9:00 a.m.           Awards Assembly

9:30 - 11:30 a.m.         Debate Quarterfinals or Semifinals

12:00 - 2:00 p.m.         Debate Semifinals or Finals

2:30 - 4:30 p.m.           Debate Finals (If they have not already occurred)