[eDebate] Hiring 2 Assistant Professors at the University of Houston-Downtown

Rangel, Nicolas RangelN
Wed Sep 20 13:18:02 CDT 2006

Howdy,

I have not been actively involved in this community for some time, and
that will likely remain the case, although given the nature of the
institution that I teach at, I have initiated some very small efforts to
maybe working on a UDL program in greater Houston (met my wife, formerly
Michelle Turner of McNeese through UDL-StL).  In any event, we have a
job opening.  Heck, we have two job openings.  If you're interested, the
contact info is below or you may contact me directly as I am on the
search committee.  Please note, this is UH-Downtown, a branch of the UH
system but not the main campus (located about 5 miles from here, go
figure). Our mascot is a Gator as opposed to the Cougar.  Haven't seen
any real cougars in Houston, but many people have seen  the alligator(s)
that occasionally appear(s) on the bayou just below our campus.

Take care,

Nick

The University of Houston Downtown seeks two Assistant Professors of
Communication Studies. The positions, subject to approval, are expected
to begin Fall 2007. The successful candidates will join a rapidly
growing program offering a bachelors in Communication Studies, and will
be expected to: (1) teach a range of undergraduate communication
courses, including our core courses: introduction to communication,
public speaking, communication theory and research in communication and
one or more of the following communication courses: organizational,
cultural, media, health, political, rhetorical criticism, or public
relations. The ability to fit into one of our developing concentrations
in Corporate Communication, Public Communication, Interpersonal
Communication, or Mass Media Effects is highly desired; (2) Sustain an
active research agenda in area of interest; and (3) Display an ongoing
commitment to committee work and community involvement. A Ph.D. is
required. ABDs will be considered for a one-year terminal appointment as
an Instructor with conversion to tenure track Assistant Professor if all
requirements for the Ph.D. have been successfully completed by December
2007. Send cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a list of three
references to: Dr. Hank Roubicek, Communication Search Committee Chair,
Department of Arts and Humanities, Suite 1055-S, University of
Houston-Downtown, One Main Street, Houston, TX 77002. Candidates also
need to apply online at the following link:
https://jobs.uhd.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=11
56454568299. Review of materials will begin October 15th, 2006, with
preliminary interviews taking place at the National Communication
Association Annual Conference and continue on campus until the positions
are filled. UHD is an EEO/AA employer. Employment eligibility
verification requested prior to interview.

Nicolas Rangel

Instructor-Arts and Humanities

University of Houston Downtown

(713) 222-5313