[eDebate] DCUDL Debate Tournament-Sat, Sep 23

Carlos Varela carlos
Wed Sep 20 16:14:44 CDT 2006

Hello debate community and volunteers,

We still need a couple more judges for this weekend. So if you are not going
to Kings Tournament, and/or are not celebrating the religious weekend, come
and help out the DC Urban Debate League, as we kick off another year,
teaching debate to student from disenfranchised schools who take it upon
themselves to learn debate. This Saturday, the tournament is at Friendship
Collegiate Academy, which is footsteps from the Minnesota Avenue metro stop,
on the orange line. The tournament is three rounds, but if you cannot/or do
not want to stay for the whole day, we can be flexible. We would rather you
come and judge for one or two rounds, than not judge at all. Did I mention
free breakfast and lunch? For further information, you can call me, Carlos
Varela at 202-341-5083.

I deeply appreciate you willingness to help and share your expertise of
debate.

With grattitude,

Carlos Varela

FOR FUTURE TOURNAMENT REFERENCE READ BELOW:

 As you may know, judges provide valuable pedagogical moments in the
education of a debater. Volunteers that help assist us in making the
tournament happen with logistics make a noticeable difference that is
appreciated deeply.

All tournaments take place on Saturdays, and run from 9:00am-3:00pm.

Here is our high school calendar for the 2006-2007 school year: All will
take place in DC, unless otherwise indicated.

  2006
Sep 23
Oct 21 (in VA-Walt Whitman)
Nov 18
Dec 16
  2007
Jan 20
Feb 24
Mar 24
Apr 21

And for those interested, here is our middle school calendar: All
tournaments will take place in DC.

  2006
Sep 30-Cesar Chavez PCS, 3701 Hayes St, NE
Oct 28
Dec 2
  2007
Jan 27
Feb 24
Mar 24
Apr 21

The DC Urban Debate League is hosting its first policy debate tournament of
the season this Saturday, September 23, 2006. The tournament is only three
rounds, and will go from 8:30 am till 4:00 pm. Breakfast and lunch are
provided.

This battle of the wits will take place at the facilities of Friendship
Collegiate Academy, 4095 Minnesota Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20019.
(202) 396-5500

The easiest way to get there is the metro, as it is directly across the
street from the Minnesota Ave Metro Station .

We will be debating the national service topic at the high school level.

The DCUDL appreciates your volunteering, especially the kids, who learn
during your disclosure and reason for decisions.

I realize, Kings Tournament is taking place this weekend, but if you know of
someone who might be interested, feel free to pass this on to them.

Look foward to hearing from you,

-Carlos Varela
Program Director
The DC Urban Debate League