[eDebate] Cap Cities Invitation - Update 1

Dutcher, Michael DUTCHERM
Thu Sep 21 15:01:42 CDT 2006

September 21, 2006

Dear Debate Colleagues,

We are pleased to invite you to the 6th Annual Cap City at Catholic
University Debate Tournament on Friday, October 20, to Sunday, October 22, 2006.

HOTEL INFORMATION:

DO NOT MAKE RESERVATIONS UNTIL MONDAY SEPTEMBER 25, 2006.

Holiday Inn, Greenbelt. Great Rate of $84.00 a night and still only 15 minutes to D.C. It is the shopping center with a Chevy's and a couple of other good chains. To make reservations, call 301 982-7000. It is under Catholic University Debate. The cut-off date has not been established. I will send out another email with that information. If you have any problems, ask for Lisa in sales. The website is www.holiday-inn.com/greenbelt-nasa

IMPORTANT JUDGING ISSUE

Please make sure that you have judges that can cover rounds on Friday, October 20, 2006. Last year the tournament ran behind because we were down an absurd number of judges on Friday. If you have multiple teams in the tournament, I cannot accept that all of your judges cover rounds on Saturday and Sunday only. It puts too much strain on the tab room and skews the judging pool for the weekend. Thank you for your consideration.

So, to continue, in the great tradition of Cap City Debates, we will offer 6 rounds of preliminary competition: 2 on Friday and 4 on Saturday and elimination rounds on campus on Sunday.

Our goal is to get everyone out early on both days to allow you to enjoy the cultural life of Washington, D.C.! We are also pleased to announce that we will also run a separate J.V. and Novice Tournament. This (only JV and Novice) will be an ADA tournament and run by a separate tab room.

As we have in the past, Catholic University is set to provide some outstanding hospitality. Bagels/Coffee both mornings, Lunch on Saturday and Sunday, a hospitality room, and a coaches/judges reception both nights. Nice awards and plenty of time to enjoy Washington, D.C.

Great low fares into Baltimore can be found through Southwest Airlines. BWI is not that far from Catholic University. They are always running internet specials. Their website is <http://www.southwest.com/ <http://www.southwest.com/> > and their phone number is 1-800-IflySWA. Additionally, rates seem to be getting more competitive for Reagan National as well.

Great Features of Tournament: We really hope that debaters and coaches have an opportunity to enjoy D.C. at night. The metro comes right onto our campus and we are only 2 stops from all the great restaurants on Capitol Hill. We will have a complete guide for you when you register.

Tournament Fees: Entry fees for the tournament will be One hundred dollars $100.00 per two-person team. Please make any checks payable to "The Catholic University of America."

Judges: Each school is expected to provide one judge per team. Accordingly, a coach with one team will be expected to judge three rounds. A coach with two teams is expected to judge all six rounds. In addition to his or her preliminary judging assignments, each judge is expected to stay one round past that in which their team is eliminated. Each judge is at least obligated through octo-finals in Varsity and Quarterfinals in the other 2 divisions. The tournament will not have extra rounds available but we might be able to arrange communications between potential judges and teams in need. Please designate which judging pools you want to assign your judges to if you have multiple judges with teams in both tournaments. PLEASE RE-READ THE IMPORTANT JUDING NOTE ABOVE.

Format: Six preliminary Rounds with 2 presets. No lag powering. All high/low within brackets. Brackets will be broken for Varsity. Elimination side determination process will itself be decided by a coin flip (unless the teams have met previously). Mutual Preference (goes into effect round 1 for Varsity). For Novice and JV, we will accept hybrid teams and they can debate in elimination rounds. 9-3-6 with 10 minutes preparation.

Tentative Schedule:

Friday October 20, 2006

1:00 PM Registration in the Pryzbylya Center on campus

3:00 PM Pairings Distributed at Catholic University Pryz Center

3:30 PM Round 1 Begins

6:15 PM Round 2 Begins

9:00 PM Coaches Reception at Holiday Inn (If there are interested parties. Last year no one showed up.)

Saturday, October 21, 2006

7:30 AM Pairings Distributed at Catholic University Bagels,
Coffee and Juice Provided in Pryz

8:00 AM Round 3 Begins

11:00 AM Round 4 Begins

2:00 PM Lunch

3:00 PM Round 5

6:00 PM Round 6 Begins

Sunday, October 22, 2006

7:30 AM Pairings handed out

8:30 AM Elimination Rounds begins

11:30 AM Awards

12:30 PM Elimination Rounds Continue

Entering: Please enter your teams and specify your judging assignments by midnight Tuesday, October 19, 2004. Please enter via email to Michael Dutcher at dutcherm at cua.edu. We should have enough space but if this gets larger than anticipated we might have to limit the number of entries per school, and also, on first-come,first serve basis. You can also fax information to me at (202) 319-4983. Please indicate in Subject heading Catholic University Debate Tournament Entries.

1. Please provide the following:
Contact information: School name, coach's name, contact phone numbers
for coaches (home and office), and email addresses.

2. Full Student Names, first and last, for each team.

3. Full Judges Names, listing conflicts for each judge and
scheduling constraints.

4. Rank your teams A,B,and C for Varsity

We look forward to seeing you in November! Let us know if we can be of
any assistance.

Regards,

Michael Dutcher

Acting Director of Debate