[eDebate] Help wanted and announcement

Ross K. Smith smithr
Wed Sep 6 22:39:18 CDT 2006

As a way to build support for academic debate by showcasing our talent,
and as a project to fill a gaping void in the media, Tim O?Donnell and I
have founded DebateScoop, and Allan Louden is the principal academic editor.

DebateScoop is a one-stop cyberspace source for electoral political
debate coverage in the United States. Scholars in debate and
communication studies will bring their insights to bear on political
debates in real time for the purpose of improving public understanding
of debate. A team of expert debate judges will contribute regular
commentary to a Scoop-based weblog to track candidate debates.

Contributors will write substantive commentary before, during, and after
house, senate, and gubernatorial debates and will contribute
meta-analysis regarding what counts as ?good debating? plus commentaries
on formats, strategies, negotiations, and post-debate spin. Audio and
video links will be included as well as a standard set of links to
political debate resources.

www.DebateScoop.org is a blog built on the Scoop platform (powerful
community blogging software used by DailyKos and others). It allows
anyone to register and post comments or start their own threads known as
diaries. A user recommendation system gives prominence to recent highly
recommended diaries. The blog will also have ?front page? authors. These
are people who have permissions set to post directly to the center column.

We expect this site to be quite prominent since it is one of a kind and
there is no existing magazine or other media source solely focused on
political debates. This fall is our debut (very soon).  The next two
months will serve as a ?beta test? so we can be fully ramped up for the
next election cycle. Between cycles there are issues debates to be
covered as well as special and off-year elections. Plus, we can have
theory articles on things like formats, negotiating, spin etc.

While the site is not advertised yet, it is viewable and you can go
ahead and register there.

That?s where ya?ll come in. You are invited to join the DebateScoop
team. We have no money for salaries, but besides being intrinsically fun
and interesting, working with us is good for the resume and will get
your name out into the national political/media arena where folks might
then seek you out.

Here are the kinds of roles we have:

Fellows: These spots are for people with prior publishing and/or
teaching experience in political debate and political communication.
Most were once in the competitive debate sphere. The ?old? folks like me
would recognize names like Ed Hinck, Mike Pfau, John Morello, Tom
Hollihan and others who are already signed on. In many cases these
individuals literally ?wrote the book? on political debates. But you may
be an up and coming scholar and/or know someone whom we should invite.
If so, contact us

Contributors: Debate coaches, judges or alums who have a strong debate
background even if they are not academics with the narrowly defined
scholarship record of the fellows. I know that many of my colleagues
fall into this category ? people who are political junkies and good at
debate. These people can contribute not only background pieces, but also
front page ?judgment pieces? on debates.

Staff Writers: Debaters, coaches or alums who can turn out quick,
well-researched background pieces and updates. We want to have articles
covering the background of races, the media coverage, the blogosphere
reaction, etc.

Staff Assistants: Debaters, coaches or alums who can provide research,
technical, writing and press assistance involving such tasks as:
tracking down debate schedules and video and audio; coordinate written
content; communicating with campaigns and media outlets; playing with
website software; editing and more.

You name it: do you have an idea for a role that we may not have
considered? Want a different job title? It?s negotiable. Let us know.

If you are interested in participating in the project let me know.

--
Ross K. Smith
Debate Coach

336-758-5268