[eDebate] Ledewitz terrorism link to Morrison

Thu Sep 7 18:32:40 CDT 2006

No Josh, you are wrong. That is not my argument. My argument is that you posted
your conversation on a list serve and that coversation will be used as
"evidence" in a round. I know this may sound like a suprise, but two wrongs do
not make a right. Reading a piece of shit card with no warrants to support a
terrorism link/advantage is bad for debate. No doubt. Understanding that the
author is full of shit and has no credibility is good. However, trolling for
"evidence" to refute a bad card sets a bad precedent.

Was your motivation for posting the conversation for educational purposes, or
was it to post publicly so you can count it as a "published" "source" to use in
a round?

Did you explain or disclose to the professor in your e-mails that you had a
competitive motivation to have him respond in a particular way? Did you
disclose that what he/she wrote back would be used to win a college debate?

For me, most of the evidence read in debate rounds is garbage--especially the
links and internal links to politics disads. The quality of sources used in
debates is abysmal and I frankly think coaches are doing a disservice to
students by failing to have standards for what qualifies as a credible source.
Billie-Bob's blogsite should not be given the same level of credibility as a
peer-reviewed journal. Similarly, having Josh Hoe's impromptu interviews
"published on edebate" the mantle of credibility just perpetuates the problem.

Use the analyticals derived from your "educational" interview, but using e-mails
as evidence smacks of ginning up one's own evidence.

As for "out of context," I'd say the text speaks for itself. If the author's
conclusion is inconsistent with the part quoted--something I am often a victim
of--then the evidence is out of context. If, however, in this case, the author
was making a claim for which he has no support. Then point out that the card is
crap and give the judge reasons to reject. But don't go writing your own
evidence, or trolling for someone with a advanced degree to say what you want
them to say.

Here, LOL, is a counter-proposal. Children and coaches, please send me your
e-mails asking for link take outs and links to whatever position you are
missing. I will e-mail you back with some half-ass answer. Hey, I have a Ph.D.
and a J.D., so surely anything I write can be counted as evidence in a debate
round right? No problem. Write me and tell me what Josh's teams are running and
what problems you are having with their case or negative strategies. Then I will
send you an e-mail giving you all kinds of reasons why their arguments are wrong
or why they link to file du juor. Hey, publish it on e-debate and you are golden
for the next tournament. No problems.

Perhaps now you may see the implications of trolling for e-mail cards. You are
setting a horrible precedent. I would rather someone read a bullshit card, in
context, in a round than have debaters trolling for evidence via e-mail
"discussions."

Scott

p.s.