[eDebate] Ledewitz terrorism link to Morrison

Josh Hoe jbhdb8
Fri Sep 8 12:28:29 CDT 2006

Hello,

First, the problem with this exchange is that you keep equivicating what I
did to a hypothetical "nightmare" scenario that is NOT even close to what I
did.

Second, your argument is either a) You suspect me of literally fabricating
my conversation - if so I will send you the email exchanges I had with him
and you can email them and verify the conversations.  If that is your
argument it is very insulting and I am not sure what I ever did to justify
you thinking I would fabricate evidence ever - much less to get an internal
link take-out to at best a bad add-on advantage for which there are better
internal links.  b) you think somehow, if he had answered differently it was
bad precedent.

Here is literally my thought process - I saw a card that I could not explain
to my students with conclusions that would be run by people throughout the
year.  I figured it would be a good idea to find out what the warrant was -
so that in cross-x there could be a meaningful answer to the question
"why?"  This seems to me to be a good practice.  If he had said "leadership"
or whatever you said in your response then that would allow us or any team
running Morrison to answer that cross-x question "leadership" and more
important for the other team debating to answer the right internal link.  In
other words, the information helps BOTH teams have a deeper and better
debate.  We, hypothetically, know what advantage we can run and they know
what internal link they can answer or turn.  In NO world does this justify
what most of your nightmare scenarios are based around.  I do not think
debaters or coaches should lead authors toward writing cards (witness in my
exchange I asked literally - you said this....why?).  I simply thought it
would be nice for everyone to know what the heck Ledewitz meant when he said
Morrison overrule key to fighting terrorism.  Thats it....job done.

Now, that said - I get that you are either crucifying me by some red herring
OR you are making a slippery slope argument.  If it is the slippery slope
argument you certainly cannot say that I am justifying the end result of the
slope.  I think we can both agree on about 95% of what you are saying.  So,
rather than continually making insulting claims about my professionalism and
saying things that are CLEARLY not what I did could you please just engage
in a civil discussion about how to set better ethical limits for what we
should aspire to?

I responded in the first place because your original email accused me of
something I did not do.  It also seemed to suggest that I was acting
unethically to cheat on behalf of my team.  If I did that to you - you would
be pissed as well.

Josh