[eDebate] Ranking Teams for Purpose of Presets

Steve Mancuso mancussp
Wed Sep 20 11:54:41 CDT 2006

Pre-set rankings prevent EVERY team from debating schedules which are
too hard OR too easy.  They equalize the pre-set draw for all teams.
I certainly welcome any system that would prevent one of my teams --
my top team or my fourth team -- from debating two "first round bid"
calibre teams in pre-set rounds.   Random pairings, while equal in
process, are incredibly unequal in results.

It should be said that there is a difficulty with pre-set rankings at
the start of the year  in that there is little information to base
the rankings on many new teams/debaters.

Steve Mancuso