[eDebate] Ranking Teams for Purpose of Presets

Morris, Eric R EricMorris
Wed Sep 20 11:55:58 CDT 2006

A properly designed system of pre-rankings precludes the outcome you described. It would tend to equalize competition in the first two rounds, top to bottom, instead of having some school get the precise draw that you mentioned. It would also be a bit of work.

I'm not confident that tournament directors at the beginning of the year have adequate information to do such a ranking appropriately for all teams. After the season begins, the Bruschke RPI ratings would do a fairly nice job. I am confident in saying we could make a list of teams and say that hitting teams on that list multiple times during the preset is probably unfair.

That said, 8 round tournaments or power matching in rounds 3-4 are pretty good antidotes. The worst case of this I recall is a team that attended a 6 round tournament with 4 random pre-sets, went 1-3 (losing to 3 of the top 10 teams in the nation), and was thus precluded from clearing based largely on the preset draw. I think those kinds of problems are rare now.

Nowadays, tough draws are more a product of high-low power matching being more common than high-high, since well established teams often get good points even in a loss. There are teams in the middle that claw their way to 4-3 and then lose to people typically in the quarterfinals. Of course, if one has low enough points to be hitting those teams in round 8 of a large national tournament, it might not really be a break round.

Dr. Eric Morris
Asst Prof of Communication
Director of Forensics
Craig Hall 363A