[eDebate] gsu - important warning

Dr. Joe Bellon debate.gsu
Fri Sep 22 13:55:57 CDT 2006

Visitors to any downtown area should always exercise caution. However, the
GSU Police Department recently sent out the following message to the
university community concerning the recent robberies. Take it for what it's
worth:

Georgia State University Faculty, Staff and Students:

the Georgia State University campus, the Georgia State University Police
Department would like to reassure the campus community that we are
working diligently to resolve the situation.

In the past three weeks, there have been three confirmed reports of
robberies near the Five Points Parking Garage on Peachtree Street, and a
fourth incident which remains unconfirmed. Only one of these incidents
was reported to the Georgia State University Police Department. Contrary
to numerous reports by the Atlanta news media, we have no reason to
believe that the suspects are targeting students or other members of the
university community.

The Georgia State University Police Department has increased its
patrols in the area of the robberies, including using undercover and
uniformed officers in order to saturate the area with police. Also, at
the time we received information about the robberies, following
university policy, we posted notices around the bridge construction near
the Five Points Parking Garage on Peachtree Street, the AYSPS building
and surrounding area, and the RCB building and Broad Street area.

We are committed to apprehending the criminals committing these
robberies and preventing further incidents. We are conducting a joint
investigation with surrounding police agencies, including the Atlanta
Police Department and Marta Police.

As always, each person should be aware of their surroundings, should
try to walk in well lit areas and if possible walk in groups of two or
more. If for any reason you do not feel safe on campus walking to your
car, classroom building or your campus residence, particularly after
dark, we urge you to call the Georgia State University Police Department
at 404-651-2100 for a safety escort and an officer or security guard
will walk or drive you to your destination.  The escort service is
available 24 hours, seven days a week.

Also, if you are interested in receiving daily updates on reported
crimes at Georgia State University, you can subscribe to receive the
safety and health report that is distributed by GroupWise.

Sincerely,

Connie B. Sampson
Director of Police Operations
Georgia State University