[eDebate] searching for Judges in the Rome / Athens / Altanta area

Kelly McDonald Kelly.McDonald
Tue Apr 3 11:33:39 CDT 2007

Arizona State University is attending the NFA national IE championship later this month in Rome, GA at Berry College and needs 3-4 judges for the tournament still.  If you are in the area, the new Director would love to hire you.  The college is nice, the schedule is broken up giving you time for homework / grading / etc.  You won't be expected to judge later elimination rounds.

His contact information is michael.graupmann at asu.edu - phone is 480-965-4111.

Here is his solication  note that includes information about schedule and payment:

Arizona State University Forensics Program

*****Looking to Hire Judges for the National Speech Competition*****

If you have forensics experience or are just an experienced Communication TA with public speaking / argumentation / criticism background, the Arizona State University speech and debate program needs to hire 2-3 judges for the national championship tournament in Rome, GA the weekend of April 19-23.

The tournament schedule and event description follow.  We only compete in the speech events - not the Lincoln Douglas (LD) debate rounds.  That will at least give you some respite to do a bit of homework / grading /etc.  Your experience, a stop watch and pen are all you need.

I will provide housing in Rome at a hotel (Jameson Inn), per diem of $40.00 and $20.00 for gas and pay $240.00 if you can judge all rounds Thursday thru Sunday.

The per diem and gas will paid in cash at the tourney and I will process payment from the University for judging payment when we return to Tempe.   If you want to come up to Rome Wednesday night - there will be a room at the hotel (admittedly shared - 2 bed room, non-smoking) and you can meet me to get your judging schedule, maps, information and per diem / gas payment.

If you are interested, please contact me as soon as possible and we can discuss details more.  My contact information is below.  I need to finalize our entry by April 6.

Thank you for your time and interest.

Best,
Mike

My contact information:

Michael Graupmann

Director of Forensics

The Hugh Downs School of Human Communication

PO Box 871205

Tempe, AZ  85287-1205

Office:  476 Stauffer Hall

Phone:  (480) 965-4111

 NATIONAL FORENSIC ASSOCIATION

Tentative Tournament Schedule

NFA 2007 TOURNAMENT:

The 2007 Tournament will be hosted by Berry College, Rome Georgia. This year's tournament will be using a revised schedule with registration on THURSDAY MORNING, on the campus of Berry College. The tournament will be held on Thursday - Monday, April 19-23, 2007. Please be aware of this revised schedule.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE FOR 2007:

Thursday - April 19, 2007

Registration: 8:00 - 10:00 a.m.

Opening Assembly: 10:00 a.m.

11:00 a.m. - Round 1 C

12:30 p.m. - Lincoln Douglas, Round 1

2:00 p.m. - Lincoln Douglas, Round 2

4:30 p.m. - Extemp Draw

5:00 p.m. - Round 1 A

6:30 p.m. - Round 1 B

Friday - April 20, 2007                                              Saturday - April 21, 2007

8:00 a.m. - Lincoln Douglas, Round 3                      8:00 a.m. - Extemp Draw

10:00 a.m. Lincoln Douglas, Round 4                       8:30 a.m. - Round 3 A

12:00 noon - Lincoln Douglas, Round 5                   10:00 a.m. - Round 4B

1:00 p.m. - NFA Coach/Student meetings                11:30 a.m. - Lincoln Douglas, Round 6

2:30 p.m. - Extemp Draw                                          1:00 p.m. - Extemp Draw

3:00 pm - Round 2 A                                                 1:30 p.m. - Round 4 A

4:30 p.m. - Round 2 B                                               3:00 p.m. - Round 2C

6:00 p.m. - Round 3B                                                4:30 p.m. - Round 2D

7:15 p.m. - Round 1 D

Sunday - April 22, 2007                                             Monday - April 23, 2007

9:00 a.m. - Round 3 C                                               8:00 a.m. - Quarterfinals C & D & LD

10:30 a.m. - Round 4 C                                             10:00 a.m. - Extemp Draw

12:15 p.m. - Lincoln Douglas D.O.                           10:30 a.m. - Semi Finals A & B

1:30 p.m. Round 3 D                                      12:15 p.m. - Semi Finals C & D & LD

3:00 p.m. Round 4 D                                      2:15 p.m. - Extemp Draw

4:00 pm - Extemp Draw                                            2:45 p.m. - Finals A & B

4:30 pm - Quarterfinals A & B                                 4:30 p.m. - Finals C & D & LD

6:15 p.m. - Lincoln Douglas Octas                           7:15 pm - Awards

Events:

Prose, Extemporaneous, After Dinner speaking, Rhetorical Criticism, Informative, Poetry, Persuasion, Impromptu, Duo Interp,

DESCRIPTION OF EVENTS:

PERSUASION: A speech to convince, to move to action, or to inspire on a significant issue, delivered from memory. Maximum time is 10 minutes.

EXTEMPORANEOUS: For each round, contestants will select one of three topics on current national and international events. The contestant will have thirty minutes to prepare a five to seven minute speech on the topic selected. Notes are permissible but should be at a minimum. Maximum 7 minutes.

IMPROMPTU: Contestants will receive short excerpts dealing with items of general interest, political, economic, and social issues. The contestant will have a total of seven minutes to divide between preparation and speaking. Students should speak for at least three minutes. All contestants in the same section shall speak on the same topic. Maximum 7 minutes.

RHETORICAL CRITICISM: Contestants will deliver an original critical analysis of any significant rhetorical artifact. The speaker should limit the quotation of, paraphrasing of, or summary of, the analyzed artifact to a minimum. Any legitimate critical methodology is permissible as long as it serves to open up the artifact for the audience. The speech must be delivered from memory. Maximum 10 minutes.

INFORMATIVE: The contestant will deliver an original factual speech on a realistic subject to fulfill a general information need of the audience. Visual aids that supplement/ reinforce the message are permitted. The speech must be delivered from memory. Maximum 10 minutes.

AFTER DINNER: Each contestant will present an original speech whose purpose is to make a serious point through the use of humor. The speech should reflect the development of a humorous comedic effort, not a stand up comedy routine. The speech must be memorized. Maximum 10 minutes.

PROSE: The contestant will present a program of prose literature. Original introductory comments and transitional remarks are permitted. Programs may consist of single or multiple selections. Plays are not permitted. Manuscripts are required. Maximum 10 minutes.

POETRY: The contestant will present a program of poetic literature. Original introductory comments and transitional remarks are permitted. Programs may consist of single or multiple selections. Manuscripts are required. Maximum 10 minutes.

DRAMATIC DUO: A cutting from a play, humorous or serious, involving the portrayal of two or more characters presented by two individuals. This is not an acting event. Thus, costumes, props, etc. are not permitted. Presentation must be from manuscript and focus should be off stage. Maximum 10 minutes.

Kelly M. McDonald, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor & Principal, Consortium for Strategic Communication
The Hugh Downs School of Human Communication
PO Box 871205
Tempe, AZ  85287-1205
Office:  474 Stauffer Hall
Phone:  (480) 965-2027 (direct)