[eDebate] CASCAID Conference extended Call for Submissions

Steven Woods Steven.Woods
Wed Apr 4 13:26:33 CDT 2007

Hello all,

Now that the end of the season has arrived, I would like to extend an
invitation to participate in the 2007 CASCAID Conference.  While the
deadline for early review has passed, we understand that the demands of
the season and other time pressures may have prevented the ability to
focus on getting a submission in; we will still accept proposals and
submissions up until May 1 for review.

This is the 4th year of the conference and last year we had between 200
and 250 participants from the academic and local community participate.
Currently we have submissions from 4 different states included, and are
working on finalizing our keynote speaker for the event.

For those in the debate community this is a unique and valuable
opportunity to live out the activist goals of your advocacy.  Each year
debaters make the claim that they are interested in social change,
involvement in movements, and liberatory actions.  THIS IS IT!!!
CASCAID is part academic conference, skill building workshops, and
community networking.  It also is a tremendous amount of fun.

It is something to add to your resume/vita, and there is also a prize
for the best paper submitted by an undergraduate.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can do to
facilitate your participation (housing, transport, etc.).  Also, if you
have any questions about potential submissions or any other facet of the
conference just let us know.

Sincerely,

Steve

Call is copied below:

 CASCAID

Community Advocacy Support Center

Call for Submissions for the

2007 CASCAID Peace and Justice Conference

May 18 & 19 2007

The CASCAID Conference is an opportunity for advocates, academics and
activists to come together to exchange ideas.

The emphasis is on improving advocacy skills by sharing experiences,
perspectives, and methods related to building civil discourse and
grassroots political action and awareness.

CASCAID is seeking contributions that address the promotion of peace and
justice as well as general examinations of these concepts.

Who Should Submit:

We seek original works and ideas from all persons from both the
community and campus.

Undergraduates are particularly encouraged to submit. The top paper
submitted by an undergrad will be awarded the CASCAID Contribution to
Advocacy Award and a $250 cash scholarship.

What to Submit:

~ Papers (Completed or Abstracts) ~ Workshop Proposals ~ Discussion
Forum Proposals ~ Training Panels ~ Art ~ Film.  Basically, anything you
think belongs at a conference on "peace & justice".

When to Submit:

DEADLINE EXTENDED UNTIL MAY 1.  Remember, abstracts are okay to submit
for consideration, but full papers are due by the scheduled presentation
time at the conference, and the week prior for consideration for the
undergraduate paper recognition.

Where to Submit:

By E-mail:  Electronic submissions (Word documents) should be sent to
one or more of the following:

korry.harvey at wwu.edu; paulbing at gmail.com; steven.woods at wwu.edu

Please put "CASCAID CONFERENCE" in subject line

By Mail:

CASCAID CONFERENCE 2007

c/o Dr. Steve Woods

Dept. of Communication MS9162

Western Washington University

Bellingham WA 98225-9162

CASCAID is a community service project of the Western Debate Union.

Mission Statement: CASCAID will assist persons from the community in
developing advocacy skills by providing training and feedback, research
assistance, and strategy consultation. CASCAID will prioritize issues of
environmental quality, sustainability, and health, as well as issues of
social justice and resource equity. CASCAID's goal is to increase
citizen participation and voice in governance and the policy-making
process.

Dr. Steve Woods

Associate Prof. Communication and Director of Forensics

Western Washington University