[eDebate] Challenge to the Community-Response

Wed Apr 4 15:53:36 CDT 2007

There is a big difference Andy--namely in those semi-pro sports such as college
basketball, there are a lot of young black men who want to play college ball,
but do not have the grades or SAT scores to support admission. Yes, reading is
fundamental.

I have yet to see a lot of minorities who are clamoring to enter into college
debate programs who are somehow excluded. And, I hazard to guess that little
requirements like the ability to read and write would substantially hamper
their performance, even if the standards were lowered. You don't have to know
how to read to dunk a basketball, but you may need to read a few disads every
now and then, or read a krtik theory block to win in a debate.

I think your analogy between college sports and college debate on this point to
be quite spurious.

Scott