[eDebate] UNI debate graduate assistantship

Catherine Palczewski Catherine.Palczewski
Wed Apr 11 15:54:47 CDT 2007

Seniors,

Now that folks are done debating at the national tournaments, you likely
have realized you are not really done with debate.  So, if you are
looking for a chance to continue your relationship with debate, think
about pursuing a Master's Degree in communication Studies and being an
assistant debate coach at the University of Northern Iowa.

The University of Northern Iowa has a second assistantship to coach
debate available for the Fall of 2007. As an assistant, you would work
with the debate team, teach one class, and take 3 classes a semester.

The master's degree program in Communication Studies at UNI allows
students to emphasize rhetoric and argumentation, performance studies,
organizational communication, interpersonal communication, PR, or media
. The UNI program boasts nationally known scholars in argumentation,
performance studies, gender and communication, and media studies. UNI
also has an exceptional Philosophy & Religion Department and graduate
level Women's and Gender Studies program.

Assistantships include a living stipend and a full tuition waiver. The
the cost of living in Cedar Falls/Waterloo, IA is very low. And we now
have an absolutely fabulous Thai restaurant in town.

UNI debate fields approximately 4-6 teams each year at all levels of
experience. We travel extensively, attending tournaments at the regional
and national level. We host a large college tournament and numerous
public debate series and have begun a high school debate program at the
high school attached to the university.

If you are interested in teaching, coaching, and working with a program
active at a variety of levels we would love to talk with you.  Please
contact me ASAP, and I can help you work through the process.  If you do
apply, contact me and let me know so that I can flag your application
and expedite the process.

Also, feel free to visit the university website to find application
materials (the GRE is NOT required)

To APPLY to UNI:
http://www.grad.uni.edu/admission/default.aspx
(it can be done on line)

and remember to fill out the application for funding:

http://www.grad.uni.edu/assistantships/application.aspx

for more information:
http://www.chfa.uni.edu/comstudy/graduate/apply.asp
http://www.chfa.uni.edu/comstudy/graduate/assistantships.asp#4