[eDebate] Challenge to the Community-Response

Steinberg, David L dave
Wed Apr 4 16:13:09 CDT 2007

This year I went to bat for 6 applicants to our university, all minority, all UDL debaters hoping to continue their debate careers and pursure degrees at our institution.  Their grades and SAT scores were below what admissions would consider for them.  Granted, I suspect any one of them would have been admitted if they could return a kickoff or block a defensive end.  My surprise is that the NCAA has an interest in this.  Are there really atheletes who are denied admission based on grades or scores!?

I have no doubt that the UDL experience of my would-be recruits has improved their reading over what it would have been absent the debate training, but unfortunately not enough or early enough to get raise their grades and scores high enough to get into our school.  I believe all of them have the ability to succeed in higher education, and thanks at least in part to debate, they now wish to do so.  So I am not sure the difference is all that stark.

And, by the way, if the admissions policies of your institution are more flexible than mine and you are interested in some potentially excellent debaters, let me know: I will put you in touch.

dave

David L. Steinberg, Director of Debate

University of Miami
PO Box 248127