[eDebate] Challenge to the Community

Omri Ceren ceren
Wed Apr 4 17:09:30 CDT 2007

No. You just don't get it.

There's actually a relatively robust criticism to be made of you,
tracing how risk-free revolutionary posturing can hold the good hostage
to the perfect while using aggressive smugness to insulate intellectual
laziness. So for instance, no one of any intellectual care would claim
to have seen the best debaters in the country claiming that "law is [the
best method]... of pursuing racial justice in education". First of all,
outside of a very precise use in pyschoanalytic critical literature,
"the Law" isn't a meaningful category. There are multiple branches and
levels of government empowered to enforce legislative and judicial
decisions - and while I know that most of the debates that you saw this
year didn't really think that those distinctions mattered, that's kind
of my point too.

Anyway, like I said - there's a relatively robust criticism of your
personal sensibility, political ideology, and interpersonal community.
But I doubt you'd get it.

Omri.

--

PhD Student, USC Annenberg School for Communication
Email: ceren at usc.edu
Mobile: 412-512-7256