[eDebate] Debaters who became policy makers

Ross K. Smith smithr
Wed Apr 18 20:02:01 CDT 2007

Stop the marginalizing, Ellis.

First you say, "I have often heard about the mythical effects debate has
in placing people in the policy making world..."

Mythical? You assert from the outset that the effect is mythical.  Nice.
Just asking an innocent, honest question, eh?

Then it gets worse, " . . . excluding ross's definition where we are all
policy makers..."

Why not just say "ignoring" or, better yet, "marginalizing" my entire
argument. You call it a mere "definition" as if I simply posited it and
it had no significance.

Instead you demand a list of "celebrity" policy makers? Ones with "real"
power? My whole point was that the real power that matters is with each
of our daily responsibilities to ethically conduct ourselves. Debate
about public policy is a method of teaching us skills to help us in that
inevitable endeavor. Every time we diminish the opportunity to engage in
that form of education we hurt the people who miss out. Every round.
Every program that disappears.

I recieved not a single quibble with my argument. (Fir reference, it is
here: http://www.ndtceda.com/pipermail/edebate/2007-April/070516.html

I put a lot of work into taking the earlier questions seriously.

Of course, in the long run if the attacks on policy debate succeed we
will have no names to give you. No names of anyone, "significant" or not
who has been helped by the unique learning opportunity that is policy
debate.

Meanwhile, check out Wes Clark. Wanna see what he is doing with his old
school NDT policy debate experience? http://securingamerica.com/

But again, and finally, what is the point of your quest for names and
positions? My argument is that we would all be better off if all of our
officials, elected and appointed, had rigorous policy debate training.
God knows our current president had none.

--
Ross K. Smith
Debate Coach

336-758-5268 (o)