[eDebate] debate and public speaking

Duane Hyland privethedge
Wed Apr 25 18:26:27 CDT 2007

Actually, we should congratulate Jeremy. IT sounds like he has managed to find a permutation of Policy Debate that might get students involved in debate - not everyone likes Policy. And colleges can offer Parli, NFA-LD, and IE in addition to NEDA, NDT, and CEDA - it sounds like Jeremy has managed to cross-breed NFL Public Forum with Policy (at least the arguments.) It might be strange form of debate, but it gets kids out of the dorms, and gets them involved - I think the wake of the tragedy of VA Tech, we should be celebrating things that gets students to open up, get involved and connect with others. What Jeremy did wouldn't appeal to me, but it obivously appeals to some, and say that's good!!:)

  I make no judgements on the education value of the activity - I do know that when you speak to your company's board, you don't do it at NDT speed - but I think NDT/CEDA teaches valuable skills in organization, research, strategic thinking etc - that is why I'll always love it.

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that person that he, if he had the power, would be in silencing mankind
 If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth; if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by  its collision with error." John S. Mill

"Have a Cluckity, Cluck, Cluck Day"

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.