[eDebate] DEBATERS CHOICE AWARDS 2007 -- RESULTS

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Fri Apr 27 17:18:40 CDT 2007

Yes, I am (and was) aware that Mr. Jennings is a Mr.  In a group (national circuit debaters) that is about 20% male, there is less than a 3% chance (actually 2.72%) that having 3 women on a list of 4 people would occur randomly.

My remark was intended to be a mild tweak.  My respect for the accomplishments and general good sense of Mr. Marks notwithstanding, the reaction to that tweak is more telling than the survey result that prompted me to post in the first place.  Methinks some of you gentlemen doth protest too much.--Neil
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Eli Anders<mailto:anders8 at fas.harvard.edu>
  To: NEIL BERCH<mailto:berchnorto at msn.com>
  Cc: edebate at ndtceda.com<mailto:edebate at ndtceda.com>
  Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 6:09 PM
  Subject: Re: [eDebate] DEBATERS CHOICE AWARDS 2007 -- RESULTS

  Forwarded for David Marks:
  ---------- Forwarded message ----------
  From: David Marks
  Date: Apr 27, 2007 6:07 PM
  Subject: send to edebate

  I don't think it's sexist to think Kathryn is gullible, but it might be slightly sexist to think Andrew Jennings is female just because he's so pretty.

  Sexism in debate is a problem, yes. But can we please avoid giving ammunition to those who complain about liberal over-reaction and simplification?

  David